Inground Pool Plumbing

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
AppleValleyPool
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: We live in Minnnesota. We are building a home inground pool. Rectangle is shape, 20 x 46, with a sundeck. 8' dive at one end with diving board. Pentair heater, filter and pump systems

Inground Pool Plumbing

Postby AppleValleyPool » Tue 31 May, 2022 09:41

Hello
We are having an inground pool built. We live in Minnesota and are concerned about pipes freezing over the winter. The pipes are still exposed at this point in the building process and we have noticed that the white PVC pipes are slanted upward. So from where the pipe leaves the pool and goes down, then there is a 90 degree angle turning the pipe horizontal to lay along side of the pool that is at least half of the length of the pool then to hook it up to the mechanicals. This stretch of horiztonal pipe actually goes upward about 3.5 inches from the bottom of the 90 degree angle to where it will hook up to the mechanicals.
Should this be slopped downwards to ensure that all of the water gets out of the pipes so that it doesn't freeze in the winter?
Is this slight increase upwards ok? normal?

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Inground Pool Plumbing

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 31 May, 2022 10:31

Depends on the frost level, burying about 2ft may possibly solve it but apart from a friend in Minnesota I dont know the winter weather. A small amount of water left behind wouldn't normally be an issue provided it has space to expand as it freezes.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 31 May, 2022 12:00

What about using flexible pipe that will expand if it freezes
AppleValleyPool
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: We live in Minnnesota. We are building a home inground pool. Rectangle is shape, 20 x 46, with a sundeck. 8' dive at one end with diving board. Pentair heater, filter and pump systems

Postby AppleValleyPool » Fri 03 Jun, 2022 10:40

Thanks for your follow up. I can check into using a flex type of pipe. Our frost levels in MN can be 6 foot or even deeper. So for sure the pipes need to be able to "freeze" without causing an issue.
So the main concern is if there is a 3.5 inch incline from the start of the line to the end, would we be able to get enough of the water out so that when it does freeze the pipes do not crack. It seems more logical that the pipes would be slanted downwards to prevent un-needed water retention. I am just unsure....
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 03 Jun, 2022 13:59

It certainly would be more logical but pool builders and logic??? Thats some freeze level. Blow the lines with a shop vac and plug with expanding pool bungs and cross your fingers.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”