Hose size or air leak

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Barry J
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Above ground, 15x33

Hose size or air leak

Postby Barry J » Thu 02 Jun, 2022 03:54

Pool

I have an above ground pool , just started up for the season. I have excessive back pressure coming thru skimmer after I shut off filter. A couple of things are happening. One is my suction hose broke last year, the only extra hose I had was a 1 1/4 size. The old one was a 1 1/2 hose. (i have one ordered and coming in ) but in the mean time have to run the pool. Will that smaller diameter hose from skimmer to pump cause air to come into the system? Or should I look elsewhere. There are air bubbles coming from return after running for awhile. Another thing is a drip coming from the pump drain hole when pump shut off. I bought a new plug with “O” ring and replaced but still drips. I tried loosening it , tightening it, teflon tape, lubrication, everything.
Almost ready to apply some sealant to plug and call it a day, sense I never use it. Could that be my problem or should I just try to change that skimmer to pump hose back to 1 1/2 ?? Also, before anybody ask, it is an above ground, with the system set up below the water line.
Thanks for any help
Barry

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Hose size or air leak

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 02 Jun, 2022 08:10

I think you should change the pipe back to 1 1/2". No it wont cause air in the system but an air leak wiil so that is your issue. As you changed the pipe that is where to look first.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Barry J
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Above ground, 15x33

Postby Barry J » Fri 03 Jun, 2022 07:27

Actually found that the pump has a hairline crack in a crease that is very hard to find and is right above the drain , so looks like a new pump for me,, shame, just 4 years old
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 03 Jun, 2022 13:53

Can you search for a new wet end for the pump?
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”