Hayward Power Flo LX humming. Thought was cap.

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Iamtheguyy
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 30 foot roundie

Hayward Power Flo LX humming. Thought was cap.

Postby Iamtheguyy » Thu 09 Jun, 2022 09:32

Then found out after taking it apart it doesn't have a capacitor. Then come to find out my pool person who installed it probably gave us a 15 year old pump with centrifugal clutch. It hums but won't run. I've got a new pump on order but its going to take forever, any way I can rig this thing to run for a week or so? When I do get it to run I just leave it on, power flickered the other day. Now back to hum.

Tldr: How can I make this old thing spin while I wait for my new pump to come in. The pool opening was going so well.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Hayward Power Flo LX humming. Thought was cap.

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 09 Jun, 2022 10:39

Crikey, what an old one. Any going 2nd hand you put on there for a bit? Still surprised it doesn't have a cap, what gives it the push ??
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Iamtheguyy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Iamtheguyy » Thu 09 Jun, 2022 11:24

Teapot1 wrote:Crikey, what an old one. Any going 2nd hand you put on there for a bit? Still surprised it doesn't have a cap, what gives it the push ??

Don't know took it apart, sanded everything. It worked great after that. But was looking for the capacitor the whole time, EZ fix, but nope. Nothing in there. I don't really want to take it apart again for a maybe. I think it uses induction to get it started, apparently after searching for pumps to buy capacitor pumps aren't allowed to be sold in CA. Thank God I don't live there
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 10 Jun, 2022 10:06

Capacitor pumps arent allowed, well I wonder who police's that. My pump doesnt have one either as its completely different pump.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Iamtheguyy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Iamtheguyy » Mon 13 Jun, 2022 16:16

Problem solved I guess, knew I had a new pump coming, took the hammer to it as a final send off. Hit the rear center. Started right up worked ever since after multiple disconnects. What happened there? And do I need to send the new pump back like the cheapskate and lazy bum that I am?
Iamtheguyy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Iamtheguyy » Mon 13 Jun, 2022 16:17

Teapot1 wrote:Capacitor pumps arent allowed, well I wonder who police's that. My pump doesnt have one either as its completely different pump.

It won't allow shipping, unless you got a PO box in Nevada I think you're out of luck.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 14 Jun, 2022 01:28

Just jammed up, did you try to move the shaft previously

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”