issue with Pressure

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
mbconner
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16x32 size -- Pentair Sand dollar filter and pentair pump

issue with Pressure

Postby mbconner » Fri 10 Jun, 2022 12:29

I have an above ground pool. We have a Pentair pool pump and a Pentair Sand Dollar Filter (SD 40). I replaced the sand this year. The pump and filter works fine but in past years, the pressure stays around 18. It is constantly around 13. When I first set it up this year, it works fine for about 30 minutes then the flow of water decreases. I turn it to backwash then start filtering again and it does fine for another 30 mins. I bought a new pump and a new valve assembly for the filter and now it runs great for about 8 hours, then the pressure of the flow decreases (but the pressure gauge stays around 13). Please help. We have tried everything. There are no leaks in the pipes or fittings.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: issue with Pressure

Postby Teapot1 » Sat 11 Jun, 2022 01:17

It would suggest the new sand is the issue, maybe wrong grade with too much fine grains so causing the reduction in flow as the filter ripens. Overall the pressure is not the issue its the flow. Your previous years at 18psi is really too high, that forces dirt through the filter and back out again as it reduces the size of the dirt, literally sanding it down. The other point with high pressure is the strain on the pump and the extra electricity it uses for no gain whatsoever.
My system runs at 0.5psi and the water is filtered through DrDrydens Activate AFM, that is much much better than sand and never needs changing.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”