Recurrent circuit breaker tripping from pump

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
dogomai
I'm new here
I'm new here

Recurrent circuit breaker tripping from pump

Postby dogomai » Tue 13 Sep, 2022 09:07

I'm hoping someone may have some insight to help with an issue I've been working on all summer.

We recently moved into a home with a 20000 gallon in-ground pool. Ever since opening, we have had issues with tripping of the circuit breakers. We have a sub-panel around the side of the house for only the pool pump, heat-pump, and pool light. Initially, the circuit breaker to the pump was tripping, and we found that it was too old and that the GFCI breakers on the sub-panel could no longer trip, so we replaced the indoor breaker and 2 outdoor breakers including the one to the pump.

Since that time, we've had recurring issues with the breaker to the pump tripping. The pool company has replaced pump twice without change. We've had an electrician out multiple times and have now replaced the wiring from the breaker to the pump without fixing the issue. The pool guy even wired the pump directly into the breaker, and it is still tripping.

When the pump is on, it works wonderfully. No issues with water pressure at all. It mainly seems to trip during the hottest parts of the day. It even ran for a few days in a row this week when it was cloudy and in the 60s-70s F. Occasionally though, it will trip at night. This happens once or twice a week.

At this point, the electrician says it's not an electrical problem, and the pool guy says it's not a problem with their hardware, but clearly something is wrong. Does anyone have some suggestions as to what to do next?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Recurrent circuit breaker tripping from pump

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 13 Sep, 2022 10:37

Don't know if this helps
I had a recent problem where I had an earth stake which worked OK but after some work was done the electrician connected the earth to the house wiring which occasionaly caused the main circuit breaker to trip
After disconnecting the earth stake all seems OK
NewDIYPool
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby NewDIYPool » Fri 11 Nov, 2022 23:31

After disconnecting the earth stake all seems OK

Let me get it straight, you are recommending people to remove the earth connection to their pump?
Isn't that both illegal, and potentially deadly?
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 14 Nov, 2022 15:48

Have you tried connecting the pump to a different breaker, could be a faulty breaker, we have the similar fault on a board at work.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 14 Nov, 2022 16:05

So long as the system is earthed correctly my electrician disconnected the earth stake
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 14 Nov, 2022 20:33

There are whole other issues with multiple earths, is that the problem you had Dennis?
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 15 Nov, 2022 02:44

Teapot1 wrote:There are whole other issues with multiple earths, is that the problem you had Dennis?

My system worked fine with the earth stake, but after more work done by the electrician wih another grid earth it would trip out periodically, disconnecting the earth stake solved it
The equipment used now is far more sensitive to variations in the supply

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”