Pump won't stay primed

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
RoverAbraham
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Salt chlorinator pool, 3.5x8m (approx. 36000 litres). Pump, sand filer and chlorinator are next to each other and are approx 3m elevation above pool skimmer

Pump won't stay primed

Postby RoverAbraham » Fri 16 Dec, 2022 03:42

Classic issue for diagnosis: pool pump won't stay primed - immediately after pump turns off (auto or manual) I can see air bubbling up from the pump suction line into the pump strainer. Is this a leak in the pump suction pipes?

I have the pump running on auto during the day with short gaps of an hour or so between runs so that it is able to maintain its water (even run it for a chunk during the night). Though I have to fill up the pump at the strainer every other day, so that isn't really a good/reliable solution. The pump won't run for too long if it isn't getting any flow, so can't cook it self - a positive at least.

Problem details:
Pump, sand filter and salt chlorinator unit (FilterMatster) all sit about 3 metres elevation above pool skimmer. Non-return valve (NRV) is fitted just beyond skimmer. Pool water level is fine in relation to the skimmer and skimmer weir gate operates fine (not jammed).

Pump was recently installed (in autumn) by pool peeps and seemed to run OK to part of the winter. The problem came along and now it's summer, so not ideal for trying to maintain the pool health.

Salt chlorinator (which is made of clear plastic so can be seen into) is after the sand filter - and sits higher than both pump and filter - has air bubble up into it at the same time as the pump strainer. Loses water completely out of the chlorinator.

The pool guys disconnected the pipework to the roof solar tubes recently, thinking this might solve the issue. But alas, no joy - the problem persists.

The suction line NRV just after the skimmer has a clear top on it. I've noticed the odd little twig or leaf in there and stop it sealing completely (debris must get through the skimmer basket). I can see this being an issue sometimes, and clean out the debris, but the problem seems to be there when there is no debris I can see propping open the NRV.

Where is the water going, and how is the air getting in?

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Pump won't stay primed

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 16 Dec, 2022 08:48

I think you are right with the NVR, at 3 m head even the tiniest bit of dirt debris or gunk build up could give you issue. Time for a thorough clean. Then look at other bits if it doesn't stop.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 16 Dec, 2022 10:13

Teapot1 wrote:I think you are right with the NVR, at 3 m head even the tiniest bit of dirt debris or gunk build up could give you issue. Time for a thorough clean. Then look at other bits if it doesn't stop.

Seconded
You could also check for air in the filter as that will compress and send water back through the faulty NRV
I had it and it blew the lid off the skimmer basket
RoverAbraham
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Salt chlorinator pool, 3.5x8m (approx. 36000 litres). Pump, sand filer and chlorinator are next to each other and are approx 3m elevation above pool skimmer

Postby RoverAbraham » Sat 17 Dec, 2022 03:53

Denniswiseman wrote:
Teapot1 wrote:I think you are right with the NVR, at 3 m head even the tiniest bit of dirt debris or gunk build up could give you issue. Time for a thorough clean. Then look at other bits if it doesn't stop.

Seconded
You could also check for air in the filter as that will compress and send water back through the faulty NRV
I had it and it blew the lid off the skimmer basket

Thanks. How do I check for air in the filter, and how would I purge the air put of it?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 18 Dec, 2022 09:48

Some have air vents on the top or there is a pipe inside the filter which allows it to be vented into the returns

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”