How and when to clean pump strainer?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Litoq

How and when to clean pump strainer?

Postby Litoq » Sat 21 Jul, 2007 12:12

The pump strainer seems like it is getting pretty clogged and filthy. Pressure is fine but I would like to clean it out every once in a while (once a week). The pool, pump and filter are completely filled with water. Is there a way to clean it without removing water to below skimmer? Being a rookie that I am, I unscrewed the cover while it was filled with water and had my own live version of "Das Boot". Any suggestions?

Litoq

How and when to clean pump lint and hair basket...

Postby Litoq » Mon 23 Jul, 2007 07:43

It's actually called the Lint and Hair basket...mah bad!!
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 23 Jul, 2007 07:51

Do you have a valve in the line before the pump? If so just close it before removing your pump lid. If not, then the way you did it is the only way...just move quickly. In fact the gushing water will clean the basket for you. :lol:

You might also invest in a "skimmer sock" which you put over your skimmer basket (some people just use a nylon stocking). This will trap 98% of the stuff that gets in your pump basket so you wont have to empty it as much.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
Litoq

Postby Litoq » Tue 24 Jul, 2007 07:19

Unfortunately, I do not have a valve in the line so it looks like I'm gonna get wet hehehe. I think when I finally do hard plumb the filtration system, I'm gonna install a valve for both skimmer and return just for these situations. Now that I think about it, all I have to do is block up the skimmer and I should be good to go. Skimmer socks are already on the way...too bad I didn't see them earlier (before I set the system up). Once again, thanks a bunch Backglass for the advice and inspiration!!
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 24 Jul, 2007 08:51

Litoq wrote:Now that I think about it, all I have to do is block up the skimmer and I should be good to go.

Yup that will work to. Just be careful what you use as I have heard stories of people getting a rag or washcloth stuck in there suction line. :shock:

The outlet of my skimmer is threaded for a winter plug. Yours might be as well and you could just quickly screw a plug in. Honestly though, I just let it gush. It seems like more water than it actually is and it doesnt take very long to empty.
===============================

I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”