Upgrading a pool motor or pump due to poor suction?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
vnaps19
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Currently have a 28,000 gallon inground salt water pool. running it with a DE Filter and a Hayward 1.5hp Pump/motor.

Upgrading a pool motor or pump due to poor suction?

Postby vnaps19 » Mon 22 May, 2023 15:43

Hello Everyone,

I have a 28,000 Gal inground salt water pool running on a DE Filter with 1.5HP Hayward pool pump. The pump does a good enough job running the jets but i really get little to no suction out of my skimmer line. I have had the lines blown out and checked for blocks but they all came back clear. Some have said it could just be the distance from the pool to the filter. My Question is would upgrading to a 2.5/3 HP motor help with the issue. I think its logical to assume that a more powerful motor will result in better suction and water flow but wanted everyones opinion. Any Help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Upgrading a pool motor or pump due to poor suction?

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 23 May, 2023 00:50

vnaps19 wrote:Hello Everyone,
The pump does a good enough job running the jets but i really get little to no suction out of my skimmer line.

If the pump does a good enough job running the jets then its doing the same with the suction because this is a hydraulic circuit and water is as far as we are concerned non compressable. So what ever you are getting out you have to be putting in through the skimmer(s).

How much water flow you need over how much you may want to run maybe a water feature might be different. It doesnt sound like you have a way of measuring the flow so we cannot determine if it is optimal (doubtful) or too much already (probable) for the best filtration/ energy saving. My pool is only 12000 US gallons but on filtration the pump is only 0.08hp which is sufficient to turn over the pool water in 6 hours and 4 turnovers per day (24hrs) to give me great filtration and water quality as 98% of the water is filtered. If I want to run a water jet display I would not ruin my filtration circuit I would run another separate pump circuit to do that which would not be via the filter. So what is your system pressure on your gauge? That will give some idea of how efficient you are running, high pressure costs money and doesn't achieve the best filtration, slower filtration is the best filtration.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”