water pouring out backwash during high filter cycle but not low

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
jovimomdonna
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24x54 above ground .. new extremepowerusa 24 sandfilter 1 hp pump

water pouring out backwash during high filter cycle but not low

Postby jovimomdonna » Fri 26 May, 2023 18:46

We just installed a new sand filter on our 24x54 round pool.. ran it day 1 on high.. turned it to low for over night.. the next day if we put it on filter high water is returning to the pool.. but also pouring out the backwash line.. but it doesn't do it on the low setting.. its a brand new filter.. we checked the spider gasket it's fine... not sure how to proceed. Tia

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: water pouring out backwash during high filter cycle but not low

Postby Teapot1 » Sat 27 May, 2023 01:23

Sorry for the obvious question, you have plumbed it correctly? I ask because years ago I had to drive for nearly 2 hours to a customer only to find they had the pipes into the wrong ports.
You actually probably do not need the high setting except for backwashing, slower filtration is better filtration running it high does nothing except use more electricity and less effective filtration.
If you have it plumbed correctly ( we dont know the size of your pump or filter) then it could be a faulty multiport valve. There is a spring in the top of the multiport if your flow can over come that spring weight the plate will lift and allow water to flow wherever it wants. More info please.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”