Skimmer issue

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
BillD
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 18 x 36 7/11 pool, 92,000liters, Aqua Genie skimmer, hayward 1 HP pump, original 7/11 24" sand filter

Skimmer issue

Postby BillD » Mon 29 May, 2023 14:00

Hi folks. I have an unusual situation with my Aqua Genie skimmer. There is flexible PVC pipe glued into the fitting for the suction line. I seem to have an issue with it sucking air when I hook up the vacuum or G3 auto vac. If there is a leak at the skimmer connection, it must be extremely small as it takes a week or more for most of the water from the skimmer to leak out. So, the odd part is what has happened at suction outlet of the skimmer. It seems that it is mostly blocked. Can't seem to be able to load a photo, but, it essentially looks like a ball of plastic blocking most of the pipe. can't figure out how it could possibly have formed. Not keen on digging down to access the bottom, and I expect the liner will need replacement possibly next year, in which case I would probably replace the skimmer. However, if I have to, will do so. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Skimmer issue

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 29 May, 2023 14:16

Ball of plastic? Or wall of pipe sucked/crushed in? One of the small portable usb cameras to take a look?
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
BillD
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 18 x 36 7/11 pool, 92,000liters, Aqua Genie skimmer, hayward 1 HP pump, original 7/11 24" sand filter

Postby BillD » Mon 29 May, 2023 17:58

Thanks for the reply. The pipe being crushed was not something I considered.
BillD
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby BillD » Mon 29 May, 2023 18:00

20230529_142522[1].jpg
This is what it looks like.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 29 May, 2023 22:56

Looks like a crush to me, seen a few over the years. Sometimes due to owners putting chlorine pucks in the skimmer,
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
BillD
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby BillD » Tue 30 May, 2023 08:51

Thanks, again, for your reply. I am trying to figure out how the line could get crushed, being in the ground. Also interested in how pucks in the skimmer would contribute to this. I have always put pucks in the skimmer, since all my neighbours abandoned their automatic chlorinators because they couldn't maintain a steady level. I don't particularly like this skimmer as it doesn't come close to performing as well as they claim in their marketing spiels. The only advantage is that both lines run on the same side, which works better for my install. The build quality is nowhere nears as good as my old Jacuzzi. There is a bottle neck where the water leaves the skimmer. The face plate around the skimmer mouth is not attached above the opening, so they tend to break (expensive). As well, the flow doesn't seem as strong as with the Jacuzzi, even though there are fewer restrictions with the PVC hose, compared to the old PP lines. With the Jacuzzi, a puck dissolve in 2 days. This one takes at least 3 days. The floating weir in the Jacuzzi worked much better than the flap weir. I installed this pool myself in 1987, and refurbished it (myself) with new liner, 2 track aluminum coping, skimmer, plumbing and new concrete deck. Again, I truly appreciate you assistance. Thanks.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 30 May, 2023 10:16

Pucks are really acidic, ok when the pump is running but when it switches off the acidity attacks the things nearby and plastic flex or convoluted pipe are more vulnerable than rigid pipe. Pucks should go into floating dispensers.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”