Low Pressure

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Austblue
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 9 x 4m quartz finish salt chlorinated with a sand filter and brand new MX8 cleaner

Low Pressure

Postby Austblue » Fri 06 Jan, 2012 16:44

Pool User wrote:Could be a clogged or broken impeller or a worn diffuser. Unfortunately you would have to take the pump apart to see this.

Ok thanks I think I'll try and pull it apart myself and take a look or is it something that I should leave to the pump mechanics? I'm moderately handy with a spanner so I think its worth trying to do myself.

Austblue
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 9 x 4m quartz finish salt chlorinated with a sand filter and brand new MX8 cleaner

Low Pressure

Postby Austblue » Fri 06 Jan, 2012 19:30

Ok I pulled it apart and unfortunately no signs of damage or debris. Reassembled and ran the pump without the hose and got 80Kpa again but now its only reaching 30Kpa when I run with the hose.

I also tried running on recirculate but didn't affect things.

Still no idea but wondering if the reduced pressure after means something. The gaskets all looked fine so I didn't feel like they were a source of problem but perhaps they're getting air in? Would it be a good idea to smear marine grease across the gaskets or perhaps threebond gasket glue? I think the gasket glue might make more mess than its worth but not sure. Is there a way to test the seals?
Austblue
I'm new here
I'm new here

Low Pressure

Postby Austblue » Tue 10 Jan, 2012 04:44

In reading more I've realised that although the pump primes itself enough to continually flow there is a significant amount of air and turbulence in the pump window so I guess it isn't truly priming itself. I played around trying to get the air out but couldn't and the waterco S702 doesn't seem to have an air relief valve which made it more difficult.

I also noticed that when I run the pump without the vacuum hose the air bubble is less than the diameter of the pump window and the pressure is around 75-80Kpa whereas when I attach the vacuum it drops the water level in the pump window about 4" and the pressure drops down to around 30Kpa.

Not sure if that helps.

I'm guessing that there is either air getting in somewhere or a blockage in the inlet side but I'm reluctant to dig up the pipe :|
John75

Low Pressure

Postby John75 » Sat 10 Mar, 2012 19:36

Hi Jess! Have you checked this guide to swimming pool pumps at www.indoorpoolguide.com/filtration-systems
Pjogopulos

Low Pressure

Postby Pjogopulos » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 00:33

We have a similar issue int hat the PSI is about 10 and is usually at 20. There is nothing blocking the pump at we swapped the old pump out with our water feature pump. The pump is a 1 1/2 hp pump and I've checked the plumping from the intake to the return and there is nothing blocking anything. Our pool and spa use the same pump and both have the low pressure issue with separate intake and return lines for each.

We have flushed water throw the lines and nothing has come thru. There is also a lot of air in the lines and even after priming the lines air continues to be an issue as well.
michael Jacobs

Low Pressure

Postby michael Jacobs » Sun 22 Apr, 2012 04:12

I had my pump pressure suddenly drop. Checked to "O" ring etc but nothing worked.
Finally i put the hose directly into the weir intake pipe and surrounded it with a rag
to obtain maximum closure. Next thing the rag was sucked into the pipe and sent
to the leaf trap at the pump. Must have cleared the blockage as my pressure is
back to normal.
Mike
Zyriak

Low Pressure

Postby Zyriak » Sat 28 Apr, 2012 15:53

Spot on! :thumbup:
Had pressure problems here to, a quick google search, found this thread..
Removed a fine dust , hairs and leafs from the inlet of the pump...
Problem solved, Costs = 0,- 8)

Thank you for a brilliant answer to the problem. :D

-ZyR-
szhou100
I'm new here
I'm new here

No Pressure

Postby szhou100 » Wed 09 May, 2012 11:24

There was no pressure at all when I was running filtering function of the pump, but I am able to conduct backwash and I noticed that the pressure gauge was marked above 15 PSI. Any idea/suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
andrrewdamien
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Low Pressure

Postby andrrewdamien » Thu 10 May, 2012 10:47

While diving in low water pressure you have to be very accurate about what you are carrying with and wearing right suits that will work proper under low water pressure. Safety masks and glasses are one of the most critical which you have to check out properly.
paint marker
GSumm

Low Pressure

Postby GSumm » Sun 20 May, 2012 17:00

Greetings,

Just fixed my pump problem. Went from 9 PSI, back up to 21 PSI in less than 10 mins. Took it apart and found many white pine needles had gotten past both screen filters and clogged the impeller. Used a potato peeler to remove the pine needles, as the peeler fit nicely into the impeller area (after having taken the pump apart with ease, so don't worry about that). Got all the needles out, lubed up the rubber gaskets, put it back together, primed it, fired it up, and voila! 21 PSI. Easy fix. What a relief!
jrs7

Low Pressure

Postby jrs7 » Mon 21 May, 2012 09:47

when pump runs on filter i get very little pressure but if i run it on recirculate pressure is much better but still not where it should be. no blockages in baskets or impeller and no air leaks.any ideas?
jwhop3
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Foxx Inground Lagoon 14,000 gallons
PacFab Meteor Filter
Frog Inline Chlorinator

Low Pressure

Postby jwhop3 » Wed 30 May, 2012 12:22

I had the same as many above me - pine seeds in the pump, stuck in the vents of the pump flywheel reducing flow of water to filter.
jwhop3
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Foxx Inground Lagoon 14,000 gallons
PacFab Meteor Filter
Frog Inline Chlorinator

Low Pressure

Postby jwhop3 » Wed 30 May, 2012 12:30

jrs7 wrote:when pump runs on filter i get very little pressure but if i run it on recirculate pressure is much better but still not where it should be. no blockages in baskets or impeller and no air leaks.any ideas?

Check your filter for a broken lateral. Do you find sand in the bottom of the pool, or bubbles coming out of the return jets?
DonnaS

Low Pressure

Postby DonnaS » Tue 19 Jun, 2012 08:12

Hello - anyone got any idea's - just opened my pool water being pulled in fine to the pump, my pump was just overhauled - however not getting any PSI at all???

Low Pressure

Postby Guest » Wed 04 Jul, 2012 11:45

:thumbup: THANKS! I was reluctant to try the impeller...but jumped in with both feet...its exactly what it was...CLOGGED with a stick and very small leaves...cleaned, lubed,and back together, and my pressure is back to 15! THANKS for this forum...I literally thought my pump had gone bad...which would have been at least a $250.00 fix...THANKS again! :D

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”