Low Pressure

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
jrs7

Low Pressure

Postby jrs7 » Mon 21 May, 2012 09:47

when pump runs on filter i get very little pressure but if i run it on recirculate pressure is much better but still not where it should be. no blockages in baskets or impeller and no air leaks.any ideas?

jwhop3
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Foxx Inground Lagoon 14,000 gallons
PacFab Meteor Filter
Frog Inline Chlorinator

Low Pressure

Postby jwhop3 » Wed 30 May, 2012 12:22

I had the same as many above me - pine seeds in the pump, stuck in the vents of the pump flywheel reducing flow of water to filter.
jwhop3
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Foxx Inground Lagoon 14,000 gallons
PacFab Meteor Filter
Frog Inline Chlorinator

Low Pressure

Postby jwhop3 » Wed 30 May, 2012 12:30

jrs7 wrote:when pump runs on filter i get very little pressure but if i run it on recirculate pressure is much better but still not where it should be. no blockages in baskets or impeller and no air leaks.any ideas?

Check your filter for a broken lateral. Do you find sand in the bottom of the pool, or bubbles coming out of the return jets?
DonnaS

Low Pressure

Postby DonnaS » Tue 19 Jun, 2012 08:12

Hello - anyone got any idea's - just opened my pool water being pulled in fine to the pump, my pump was just overhauled - however not getting any PSI at all???

Low Pressure

Postby Guest » Wed 04 Jul, 2012 11:45

:thumbup: THANKS! I was reluctant to try the impeller...but jumped in with both feet...its exactly what it was...CLOGGED with a stick and very small leaves...cleaned, lubed,and back together, and my pressure is back to 15! THANKS for this forum...I literally thought my pump had gone bad...which would have been at least a $250.00 fix...THANKS again! :D
mexicanadave

normalPressure

Postby mexicanadave » Thu 05 Jul, 2012 17:20

What is a normal range for pump pressure? Mine is running at 18-20psi.
macstrange

Low Pressure

Postby macstrange » Sun 22 Jul, 2012 17:45

Had to repair a leak in impeller housing. Removed pump and impeller, made repair, cleaned sufaces and assembled with Permatex blue RTV silicone gasket maker. I'm getting a low pressure reading and my Kreepy Crawley quits shortly after turning the filter on. I also hear air in the sand filter. I don't see any apparent leaks. What should I look for?
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Low Pressure

Postby CGPoolman » Mon 23 Jul, 2012 08:49

Macstrange,

If everything was good before you took the pump apart - start there. Do you see air in the strainer pot or does the pump have a full prime? Make sure the impeller is screwed all the way down on the shaft, and that it is not rubbing or binding up against anything. Check that the motor seal is installed correctly. Check for any clogs/obstructions in the pump that could be slowing down your flow.

CG
bubbamoop

Low Pressure

Postby bubbamoop » Wed 25 Jul, 2012 09:10

Great great tip. I pulled out my basket and pulled out a bunch of hemlock needles, etc. Thanks for saving me stress and money! So easy! :D
Socalchris

Low Pressure

Postby Socalchris » Sat 25 Aug, 2012 20:21

reviewed a lot of the posts. Check the propeller, moving freely. Forced water pack through the filter just to see if something was clooged but could not really tell. Still at about 13 psi. Can't get enough pressure to run ther sweep or circulate the water enough to keep it clean. Any suggestions???
steveo

Low Pressure

Postby steveo » Mon 12 Nov, 2012 13:22

Ran into the same problem as the first post. Low Pressure turned out to be the cause of leaves in the impeller. Small crack in the filter basket allowed the leaves to enter. Crack was not noticed at first glance. I appreciate the posts, saved me both time and money.. :D
mgunderson
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 12,000 gallon... small pool... pentair ccp 420 filter.

Low Pressure

Postby mgunderson » Sun 24 Mar, 2013 14:42

I found this site after searching of what could be the problem. I care for my pool myself and was afraid I was going to need to spend a lot of money to correct the problem. I read this information, walked outside and found leaves that have clogged up the line. Thank you so much for this great information.
HG

Low Pressure

Postby HG » Mon 01 Apr, 2013 11:48

pulled pump off and cleared debris clogging impeller.
Happy Camper

Low Pressure

Postby Happy Camper » Fri 12 Apr, 2013 17:09

thanks. You saved me disconnecting and taking my pool pump in for service. The pump basket had split and clearing the gunk by I could feel in the pump intake line did the trick...pressure went from less than 5 back to a happy 19. Thanks! :D
honeylady

Low Pressure

Postby honeylady » Mon 29 Apr, 2013 11:02

I am having some low psi issues. 7 year old pump. Bought pool used, but this year will only be the 5th season pump has been used. 1st year we had pool set up all worked great. We had 14psi. Last year got everything hooked up and we only had 8. I ran it that way all summer, water clarity was fine, I just ran pump a few more hours a day. At end of season husband tore apart pump and all was good, I figured there HAD to be something in there but there wasn't. So hooked it up yesterday, added the DE and it started up at 8psi again... so disappointed. All hoses are clear, no blockages, no leaks to our knowledge. Could it be the motor? I am just going to run it 24/7 for now and see what happens... No $ for a repair man to come out, I'd rather put that into a new pump motor if that could solve our issue. Anyone have any ideas?

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”