Low Pressure

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
steveo

Low Pressure

Postby steveo » Mon 12 Nov, 2012 13:22

Ran into the same problem as the first post. Low Pressure turned out to be the cause of leaves in the impeller. Small crack in the filter basket allowed the leaves to enter. Crack was not noticed at first glance. I appreciate the posts, saved me both time and money.. :D

mgunderson
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 12,000 gallon... small pool... pentair ccp 420 filter.

Low Pressure

Postby mgunderson » Sun 24 Mar, 2013 14:42

I found this site after searching of what could be the problem. I care for my pool myself and was afraid I was going to need to spend a lot of money to correct the problem. I read this information, walked outside and found leaves that have clogged up the line. Thank you so much for this great information.
HG

Low Pressure

Postby HG » Mon 01 Apr, 2013 11:48

pulled pump off and cleared debris clogging impeller.
Happy Camper

Low Pressure

Postby Happy Camper » Fri 12 Apr, 2013 17:09

thanks. You saved me disconnecting and taking my pool pump in for service. The pump basket had split and clearing the gunk by I could feel in the pump intake line did the trick...pressure went from less than 5 back to a happy 19. Thanks! :D
honeylady

Low Pressure

Postby honeylady » Mon 29 Apr, 2013 11:02

I am having some low psi issues. 7 year old pump. Bought pool used, but this year will only be the 5th season pump has been used. 1st year we had pool set up all worked great. We had 14psi. Last year got everything hooked up and we only had 8. I ran it that way all summer, water clarity was fine, I just ran pump a few more hours a day. At end of season husband tore apart pump and all was good, I figured there HAD to be something in there but there wasn't. So hooked it up yesterday, added the DE and it started up at 8psi again... so disappointed. All hoses are clear, no blockages, no leaks to our knowledge. Could it be the motor? I am just going to run it 24/7 for now and see what happens... No $ for a repair man to come out, I'd rather put that into a new pump motor if that could solve our issue. Anyone have any ideas?
Glenn in Morgantown, PA

Low Pressure

Postby Glenn in Morgantown, PA » Sun 05 May, 2013 11:29

New to pool ownership but an old pilot so when I saw the sudden drop in pressure I suspected some kind of clogagge. I tried everything with no luck. Then I came to this site. Sure enough, when I checked inside the pump housing there was all kinds of FOD around the impellor. Viola! Everything is back to normal. Thanks.
PS. When I answered the question about how many m's in swimming I said "2 but if you read it upside down there is only one".I had to re-answer. I still maintain that is a very human answer.
owhataSavior

Low Pressure

Postby owhataSavior » Wed 15 May, 2013 20:15

The culprit for me was a small, lodged twig! Thanks for the help!
pdinphx

Low Pressure

Postby pdinphx » Sun 19 May, 2013 19:10

Thank you, thank you, thank you !!!

I am reviving this thread after almost 4 years ... apparently, pool design hasn't changed all that much. Same problem as everyone else -- unusually low pump pressure and no action from the pool robot.

Removed the pump basket, fished around and found a tennis ball's worth of leaves, dog hair and other detritus ... cleared it out and now everything is back to normal.

Thank you, thank you, thank you !!!
Rkb

Low Pressure

Postby Rkb » Sat 01 Jun, 2013 12:16

I just had a brand new pump installed. The pool guy said I should backwash the filter. Since I did that the pressure seems to be lower. I can't tell for sure because my pressure gauge is broken. Any suggestions? I put in 8 cans of DE rather than the usual 10 per his instruction. It's only been a couple of days. I would think back washing the filter would improve pressure?
dee99999

Low Pressure

Postby dee99999 » Sat 08 Jun, 2013 13:29

Had same problem - had pressure immediately when filter was first plugged in, and then it dropped down to nothing. I checked the impeller (as everyone suggests), and it was fine. It was a pain in the butt to get to the two screws at the bottom, but I eventually got them off. Next, I drained the filter (took the drain plug off, and just let the water out.) Then I unscrewed all of the screws on the top of the filter, and took the lid off. There was clumps of DE (probably old stuff) caked in between the tubes that hang down. I cleaned that all out (with a garden hose), and then screwed the lid back on. Hooked up hoses again, and VOILA! problem solved. P.S. I did it myself, while hubby watched tv...
Randy

Low Pressure

Postby Randy » Sun 07 Jul, 2013 18:09

Took the basket out, reached into pump inlet and pulled out pine needles, hair, and seeds. Pressure went from 10 to 25 psi. Thanks much for the info.
js construction

Low Pressure

Postby js construction » Mon 08 Jul, 2013 14:31

I have a sta-rite cartridge filter, I noticed that the algae was coming back into the pool through the jets when I vacuumed. Everything was fine 'til the pressure reached about 15 lbs (operates at 10 lbs with a clean filter).
something lets loose, the pressure drops to 10 lbs and the pool fills with algae. I replaced the filters thinking that there was a split in the filter somewhere, the same thing happened. I checked the o-rings put a little white grease on them and no change. I can't see or feel any crack in the pvc base that the filters plug into.
Any thoughts???
larryb

Low Pressure

Postby larryb » Sat 27 Jul, 2013 20:32

I was having the same problem with my Hayward pump. Took the filter basket out and reached in, but couldn't get ahold of everything. I did manage to get enough out to get the pressure back up.
briano

Low Pressure

Postby briano » Sat 10 Aug, 2013 12:44

Thank you all. I was going to call a few pool companies to see how much they would charge to come out and replace the pump as I was convinced it was old and beyond its useful life. I had already pulled out the pump filter and cleaned behind it. However, after reading all your comments, I went back out, pulled out the filter and really reached into the pipe between the filter and the pump and really dug around in there. I found another clump (almost looked like a nest) of weeping willow leaves and other debris. Once that was out, the pump is providing about 12 PSI more pressure and all the water features are working perfectly. THANK YOU!!!
B Busque

Low Pressure

Postby B Busque » Sat 24 Aug, 2013 11:17

Thanks so much for this post. Had the same problem, pressure down to 5 psi from 15. Pulled out the basket, reached behind and pulled out a ton of pine needles. Put the basket back in, fired her up, and back at 15 psi. So simple, fast and INEXPENSIVE!

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”