Low Pressure

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Randy

Low Pressure

Postby Randy » Sun 07 Jul, 2013 18:09

Took the basket out, reached into pump inlet and pulled out pine needles, hair, and seeds. Pressure went from 10 to 25 psi. Thanks much for the info.

js construction

Low Pressure

Postby js construction » Mon 08 Jul, 2013 14:31

I have a sta-rite cartridge filter, I noticed that the algae was coming back into the pool through the jets when I vacuumed. Everything was fine 'til the pressure reached about 15 lbs (operates at 10 lbs with a clean filter).
something lets loose, the pressure drops to 10 lbs and the pool fills with algae. I replaced the filters thinking that there was a split in the filter somewhere, the same thing happened. I checked the o-rings put a little white grease on them and no change. I can't see or feel any crack in the pvc base that the filters plug into.
Any thoughts???
larryb

Low Pressure

Postby larryb » Sat 27 Jul, 2013 20:32

I was having the same problem with my Hayward pump. Took the filter basket out and reached in, but couldn't get ahold of everything. I did manage to get enough out to get the pressure back up.
briano

Low Pressure

Postby briano » Sat 10 Aug, 2013 12:44

Thank you all. I was going to call a few pool companies to see how much they would charge to come out and replace the pump as I was convinced it was old and beyond its useful life. I had already pulled out the pump filter and cleaned behind it. However, after reading all your comments, I went back out, pulled out the filter and really reached into the pipe between the filter and the pump and really dug around in there. I found another clump (almost looked like a nest) of weeping willow leaves and other debris. Once that was out, the pump is providing about 12 PSI more pressure and all the water features are working perfectly. THANK YOU!!!
B Busque

Low Pressure

Postby B Busque » Sat 24 Aug, 2013 11:17

Thanks so much for this post. Had the same problem, pressure down to 5 psi from 15. Pulled out the basket, reached behind and pulled out a ton of pine needles. Put the basket back in, fired her up, and back at 15 psi. So simple, fast and INEXPENSIVE!
Bummed the pool ain't workin

Low Pressure

Postby Bummed the pool ain't workin » Sat 12 Oct, 2013 17:17

We had low pressure..no suction, spa wasn't working. Went on line and found this help forum. Tried the suggestions about clearing the basket and wouldn't ya know it, there was debris blocking it.
Pool is now working, pressure back up and spa is working. Thanks!!! :thumbup:
kumar

Low Pressure

Postby kumar » Wed 25 Dec, 2013 12:46

Finally, I did it. I flushed the inlet line but did not help at all. So, I thought that pump is just churning water but not building pressure. So, I opened the pump and removed the impeller cover. I could see that fine debris was clogging the inlet. I removed the cover then cleaned all the debris including impeller, then reassembled the pump. Pressure build up immediately upon starting and its working fine now. Removing impeller is really easy. Just loosen the C-Clamp by unscrewing it then pull it out. Be Sure to put the control on service mode prior to opening the impeller. Also, do not forget to put pool vaseline on the o-ring and joints. good luck.
tboneshell

Low Pressure

Postby tboneshell » Sun 04 May, 2014 12:48

Awesome post. My pressure was down to 2. Found this post, took the pump apart and sure enough, I found a bunch of junk in the impeller. I was going to post a pic but I guess I can't. Very easy to do, even for the inexperienced. Just use the manual for your pump and follow the procedures for removing the diffuser and impeller and then put it back together in the opposite way. My pump doesn't sound like a garbage disposal trying to crush rocks anymore, it's sounds like it did during the first start up, smooth as silk.
GoChemless
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Every pool should to be using a Go Chemless swimming pool bio sanitizer to sanitize the water in the pool to reduce the transmission of some infectious diseases.

Low Pressure

Postby GoChemless » Mon 05 May, 2014 06:52

Swimming pools define luxury and relaxation. There is nothing more calming than a lazy afternoon by the pool, more entertaining than a pool party with family and friends, or more romantic than a late night by the pool. Whichever scenario suits you best, it is essential that your home pool remains clean and sanitized at all times. After all, you never know when you want to take a dip. Go Chemless bio sanitizer sanitizes the pool water as it passes through the chamber system. It is a very safe alternative to chlorine and chlorine generators, commonly referred to as salt water pools which use high voltage to convert salt into chlorine. <a=href "http://gochemless.weebly.com"Go Chemless</a> :lol: :P
Ramsden

Low Pressure

Postby Ramsden » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 03:49

Just like to say thanks a lot cleaned out the pipe and pump saved me a new pump that's what pool man said I wanted
Lisalipo
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 17X36 inground with vinyl liner. 1.5 hp Whisperflo pump Model WF-24. Pool was installed 2003.

Low Pressure

Postby Lisalipo » Mon 30 Jun, 2014 15:26

Hi Pool Pals,
I have recently replaced all the gaskets on my whisperflo 1.5hp, purchased new in 2003. I followed the directions exactly and now I have a dip coming from the bottom where the basket assembly and the motor assembly meet. And the pump is only producing 5psi. The gasket kits on the market state they are a universal kit...is that true. Any help would be grealty appreciated.
Thanks
pell

Low Pressure

Postby pell » Thu 10 Jul, 2014 19:14

Yes check that pump impeller inlet!!! Thought I needed a new pump cleaned out the inlet, up and running. Also found that leaving the return outlet open, did show reverse flow when cleared. :lol:
Bundulla

Re: Low Pressure

Postby Bundulla » Wed 06 Jul, 2016 01:40

Thanks for all the help. I found a similar piece of plastic to Newbie's repair man.
duw320
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: in ground, 20K gallons

Postby duw320 » Sun 14 May, 2017 14:58

First post. The pressure in my filter dropped to nearly zero, however I seem to have good flow into the pool. There are no bubbles. I disassembled the pump and it was clean. I took the filter apart and verified all the connections and no cracks or breaks. I took the multi port valve apart and it is not cracked or broken. Could the gasket in the multi port valve be bad enough to allow sufficient water to recirculate back to the pool without going through the filter? I have better pressure when setting the valve to back flush. Any other suggestions besides the multi-port valve gasket?
dschddny
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground with Hayward cartridge filter

Postby dschddny » Mon 17 Jun, 2019 19:58

Excuse my double post but really hoping to get some help with my unusual problem...

When I run my Hayward cartridge filter without the cartridge (either when I'm vacuuming or just as a test), the jets shoot out water VERY STRONG, water current flies around the pool. Then when I put the cartridge back in the filter, the water comes out of the jets as a small trickle! Any ideas? I'm sure I'm using the proper cartridge, proper size, and I make sure to clean the cartridge very thoroughly.

Thanks!!!!!

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”