Pump is not priming

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Renots

Pump is not priming

Postby Renots » Mon 27 Aug, 2007 19:31

I have a Jacuzzi brand magnum pool pump with a .75 horse motor. Two days ago pump lost prime. I have jandy valves with no leaks. I ran water from skimmer to pump and water flows freely in both directions. Put shaving cream around all joints leading into pump housing and no leaks. Checked impeller for damage and or debris (none). Replaced O ring on basket lid. I used this method to prime pump--1. opened filter valve to release air and kept it open 2. turned all intakes including skimmer and main drain off 3. filled basket with water and tightened lid 4. turned on pump 5. slowly opened skimmer valve (no prime) 6. repeated same steps about 40 times (no prime).
The 41st time it started to pump better than it ever had in the history of my pool. However it was running so loud. Next morning back to a light hum and no suction. Tried steps again for about 4 hours today and no prime. I need help Please.

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Tue 28 Aug, 2007 18:13

when you fill pumpbasket with water and turn on what happens? can you see through pump lid?
Does water go in from skimmer?
when you say no suction, is the water in the pump basket not going anywhere?
If it is & impeller has no debri you have suction.
Renots

Postby Renots » Tue 28 Aug, 2007 22:07

When I fill the pump basket with water with all drains closed the water stays there. I turn the pump on and as soon as I turn the jandy valve to skimmer the water level goes down. Then I turn all the drains off turn off the pump fill the basket again close lid turn the pump back on with the basket full then I turn it to skimmer again and the water level goes down. I tried opening the skimmer line and filling the basket until the skimmer line is full quickly replacing the lid and turning the pump on. Water stays in basket but nothing comes out of the returns. This is so frustrating it is almost labor day and my wife wants to kill me because I can't fix the pool. Apparently since I was born with male genitals I am required to know how to fix the pool. I need all the help I can get.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Wed 29 Aug, 2007 18:00

lets make this easy, keep everything normal with valves etc. go to pump take off lid and fill with water.
the water should stay just below pipe that goes to skimmer.
with lid off turn on & off pump, does water go anywhere? it should get sucked through impeller hole at the bottom and empty water.
If it does not you can take apart normally and inspect impeller inside for debri which can clog proper suction.
chrisinspring

Postby chrisinspring » Fri 31 Aug, 2007 16:36

Sounds like an air leak, which could be from a broken skimmer/fitting or that line is clogged.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Fri 31 Aug, 2007 17:00

I would agree it could be that to but he needs to know if suction or leak.
If water goes no where in basket - no suction
If it does and it does not prime - clog or air leak

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”