Pool pump burnt out - is this a ripofff?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
katheguard33
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pool pump burnt out - is this a ripofff?

Postby katheguard33 » Thu 06 Sep, 2007 02:14

OK, I bought a house with a pretty old system a few years ago and it looks like the pump's burnt out. I have a pool guy (I know - you guys probably hate them - I know I hate myself for having one)

Now, he tells me the pump needs to be replaced - he says he'll buy a Pentair pump and install it for the tune of $770. I'm not sure what model - something about an S+ (it's kind of hard to understand him)

My question is two-fold. First, is this a good deal? With my limited knowledge should I just let him do it? Or do you have any other suggestions on brands and/or advice for me?

Also, should I look into a new system altogether? I'm not sure how many gallons the pool is but the pool guy rmended a 1HP pump.(Underground pool BTW) My wife keeps asking me about saline etc. She hates the chlorine... Any and allments are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Thu 06 Sep, 2007 09:34

OK, I bought a house with a pretty old system a few years ago and it looks like the pump's burnt out. I have a pool guy (I know - you guys probably hate them - I know I hate myself for having one)

If your pool equipment is old, you have 2 choices replace only old motor (if bad) or replace hole thing pump/motor. New pump/motor's are stronger so you down size HP (horse-power) and save with electrical bill.

Now, he tells me the pump needs to be replaced - he says he'll buy a Pentair pump and install it for the tune of $770. I'm not sure what model - something about an S+ (it's kind of hard to understand him)

If you do not trust him ask for make & model go on internet and look at prices. He can legally charge you 2 1/2 times the price he pays for pump.

My question is two-fold. First, is this a good deal? With my limited knowledge should I just let him do it? Or do you have any other suggestions on brands and/or advice for me?

Ya do some research and compare new brand & prices. If you do not trust him ask if he has license to do work over $500.

Also, should I look into a new system altogether? I'm not sure how many gallons the pool is but the pool guy rmended a 1HP pump.(Underground pool BTW) My wife keeps asking me about saline etc. She hates the chlorine... Any and allments are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Sat 15 Sep, 2007 12:25

nice advertisement
chrisinspring

Postby chrisinspring » Fri 21 Sep, 2007 16:55

We'll put in a 1hp Pentair Whisperflo for $500 and then goes up with a higher hps. Markets are different, so I hope this helps.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”