pool pump really loud

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Jaime

pool pump really loud

Postby Jaime » Mon 11 Feb, 2008 12:52

I was wondering if anyone can help me out? As of yesturday my pool pump has gotten incredibly loud , like if it were straining to pump . I have cleaned the filter , the suction in the pool is great but the jets that put water back in the pull are weak. Any ideas?

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Mon 11 Feb, 2008 14:23

Have you checked impeller for debris?
This will make pump struggle & become loud.
To check impeller you turn off pump, takeoff lid & remove basket. Take your finger or small screwdriver & put it down into small hole at bottom & turn impeller. If there is debirs stuck you will feel or see some come out when you turn it & it should turn easy.

What type of filter do you have?
if cartridge filter depending on size & condition you may need to get a new one. After cleaning if pressure on gauge still shows high, it's time for new one.

If DE filter, if you only backwashed you may need to pull it out & clean grids. again gauge should tell you as pressure would stay high do to DE build up inside.

If sand, there could be debris inside that backwashing does not remove & gauge can help you know.
VJ
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby VJ » Mon 18 Feb, 2008 20:47

We too have the same problem, and have done what you have posted about cleaning the debris from the propeller. Noise got better but still loud. What else can we do? Pressure is reading correctly and skimmers still suctioning correctly. Any advice...... :? :? :?
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Tue 19 Feb, 2008 18:49

when you say pump is loud is it a grinding noise from motor or just loud pressure from pump?

If you had debris in impeller hole by perpeller & it did seem to help with noise a little, you may need to pull the motor from pump & inspect the impeller inside pump for more.

What type of filter? Do you have multiport valve? Do you have any valves that may be partly closed, ortega valve-ball joint valve?

If you hear a grinding noise, where does it come from with ear close?
The motors bearing could be bad. Motor covers are always good to have over motor as water can slash in from sides inheavy rain.
GSG

Pump running very loud

Postby GSG » Fri 07 Mar, 2008 12:55

I have a similar problem, but when I cleaned the filter I found that it is full of "crystals" (feels like wet salt) which does not wash off with water. I have no idea what it is, but I'm certain it is causing the issue. The pool has been covered all winter, I'll be checking the water tomorrow. Any ideas what is causing the crystal? :)
muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Tue 18 Mar, 2008 18:23

Loud motors usually mean bad bearings.
santa rosa

Postby santa rosa » Fri 02 May, 2008 00:12

From one day to the next, the bearing went out on my sweeper motor. Replaced the bearing for <$15 -> quiet again...
Lteisseyre

Postby Lteisseyre » Mon 05 May, 2008 00:23

Hello,

I have a new product (patent pending) that is the solution to your noise problem. It will reduce noise by 75-90%

I can be contacted at info(at)premierinnov(dot)com and I will email you a brochure or visit www(dot)premierinnov(dot)com

Regards,

LGT
Shawn

pump makes a loud noise

Postby Shawn » Fri 31 Jul, 2009 17:07

santa rosa wrote:From one day to the next, the bearing went out on my sweeper motor. Replaced the bearing for <$15 -> quiet again...

I have the same problem. How hard was it to replace the bearings? The pump is only 12 months old. Should I have this problem with such a new pump? Where would I find the bearings? Could you explain to me how it is done? Thanks! Any help would be appreciated!

Shawn

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”