kreepy krauly runs slow on filter but fine on backwash

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
mike d

kreepy krauly runs slow on filter but fine on backwash

Postby mike d » Fri 02 May, 2008 13:38

I just opened my pool for the year. After I vacuumed the pool, I put KK in to begin the final cleaning of the liner. KK ran slow when running through the filter, but runs fine when the multiport is set to backwash. So I replaced the filter sand and while doing that cleaned all the internal plumbing in the filter. However that did not correct the problem. Does anyone have a suggestion of what to look at next? I have a Purex Triton filter (TR-60) with a 1 hp hayward pump that runs through a heater before returning to the pool. Should I take apart the multiport valve next, or could it be something else?

clewis138
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: above ground 24- tagelus, dynamo

Kreepy krauly runs slow on filter but fine on backwash

Postby clewis138 » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 10:58

mike d wrote:I just opened my pool for the year. After I vacuumed the pool, I put KK in to begin the final cleaning of the liner. KK ran slow when running through the filter, but runs fine when the multiport is set to backwash. So I replaced the filter sand and while doing that cleaned all the internal plumbing in the filter. However that did not correct the problem. Does anyone have a suggestion of what to look at next? I have a Purex Triton filter (TR-60) with a 1 hp hayward pump that runs through a heater before returning to the pool. Should I take apart the multiport valve next, or could it be something else?

same prob...did u get help?
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 15:20

first unplug kreepy krauly from the skimmer & see how the suction is?
is it good or bad?
if bad it's not the kreepy krauly.

If good then lets do this,
1) check all the KK hoses for holes/cracks when hoses are bad a sign can be you only see them (the hoses) vibrating in the water when backwashing as pressure is strong enough to bypass leak.
2) inspect KK at the end of it where the hoses plug into it. This is called the "swivel head assembly" and the two KK pipes are going into it. When the swivel cone & bearing at the very end of this go bad it will slow down as it allows to much suction to get bypassed to work correct. These 2 parts you are able to buy & replace unless it looks to damaged which would just mean buying a new "complete" swivel head assembly.
3) check the entire KK, pipes,all the way to the main body for holes. This can happen from it rubbing against pool by steps etc. just replace part needed.
4) inspect foot pad on the bottom of KK that sits on pool. when these go bad you can really have good suction but they will not move until really great suction like a backwash is happening but the hoses in either case will still be vibrating.
clewis138
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: above ground 24- tagelus, dynamo

Postby clewis138 » Mon 08 Jun, 2009 08:13

mr_clean wrote:first unplug kreepy krauly from the skimmer & see how the suction is?
is it good or bad?
if bad it's not the kreepy krauly.

If good then lets do this,
1) check all the KK hoses for holes/cracks when hoses are bad a sign can be you only see them (the hoses) vibrating in the water when backwashing as pressure is strong enough to bypass leak.
2) inspect KK at the end of it where the hoses plug into it. This is called the "swivel head assembly" and the two KK pipes are going into it. When the swivel cone & bearing at the very end of this go bad it will slow down as it allows to much suction to get bypassed to work correct. These 2 parts you are able to buy & replace unless it looks to damaged which would just mean buying a new "complete" swivel head assembly.
3) check the entire KK, pipes,all the way to the main body for holes. This can happen from it rubbing against pool by steps etc. just replace part needed.
4) inspect foot pad on the bottom of KK that sits on pool. when these go bad you can really have good suction but they will not move until really great suction like a backwash is happening but the hoses in either case will still be vibrating.

AND IF the suction goes "bad" and doesnt pick back up from having cleaner in pool? I HAVE TO TURN POOL OFF, THEN BACK ON FOR SUCTION TO START BACK UP,,, then works for 5 min. and boggs again.. until i either backwash, or turn off , then on again....

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”