Not enough suction to vacuum?????

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.

Not enough suction to vacuum?????

Postby Guest » Sun 04 May, 2008 18:43

We have a 10,000 gal. inground pool with a sand filter. We also have a Nature2 Express cartridge on the line, and an automatic chlorinator.

The vacuum plugs into the hole under the skimmer basket.

Last year, when I would set the valve for full strength suction, it would suck so hard I was afraid to put my hand near it, and it vacuumed very well. But now the suction is weak, and the vacuum won't work with it at all. I checked the impeller, and it moves freely. There seems to be plenty of pressure coming from the return jets. Maybe even more than usual. And the pressure on the filter doesn't want to go below 15, where last year it went down to 12 after backwashing & rinsing.

Also, when I first turn on the filter, some water leaks out the top of it, but then it stops.

I don't know if any of these things could be related to the low suction. Does anyone have any idea what else I can check or do before having to call a repair guy?

Thank you!!!!

muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Mon 05 May, 2008 17:39

The leaking top can affect the suction. If air is getting into the strainer pot then it will reduce suction. Lube the o-ring on the lid and make sure there is no debris being trapped between the lid and the top of the pump.
APSP Certified Service Pro
Jandy Tech School
Pentair Tech Training
Raypak Heater School
5 yrs experience

new finding...

Postby Guest » Tue 06 May, 2008 14:02

I checked and lubed the o-ring yesterday, & it's clear.

Ok, I'm don't know the terminology, so please bear with me.

Under the skimmer basket there's a hole and there's a valve. Last year, I would put the valve in the vertical position when I wanted to vacuum. I noticed when I've tried that, the suction gets less (& I thought maybe I remembered it backwards). So today I tried putting it in the vertical position again, & when I went over to look at the filter, the pressure was bobbing up & down between zero & 5, and there was air in the basket where the pump is, and lots of air going into the pool through the return jets.

What does it mean????

thank you!

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”