Tiny air bubbles through returns & waterfall

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
elpietri
I'm new here
I'm new here

Tiny air bubbles through returns & waterfall

Postby elpietri » Fri 30 May, 2008 10:17

Have had this inground, vinyl pool for 2 years now. Everything is working fine, nothing has changed, except...

1. I put too much algecide last fall and after I opened it this season it was foaming. Realized the problem, fixed it; fine.

2. However, I kept seeing the water cloudy and bubbly every time I turned the waterfall on (separate pump from the filter pump.) Drove me crazy thinking that it was still the algecide problem. Then I noticed that the filter pump was taking air after shutting down; not much, but enough for me to see it. I'm guessing the water level in the filter would drop by an inch or two overnight. Then, I also noticed that every time after I turn the system back on after opening the filter pump to clean the basket all the returns are throwing tiny air bubbles. It looks like a white powder coming out of the returns, and it actually turns the water cloudy a little bit, but a closer look reveals that they are tiny air bubbles. After the pump's been running for 3 or 4 minutes it stops doing it. However, the water fall keeps doing it forever. The water under the water fall turns cloudy, but they are actually tiny air bubbles as well.

I really don't want to think there is a vacuum leak, but after reading a few posts here I am afraid it is.

The questions are:
- How do I figure out what's causing it, where is it coming from?
- How to fix it?

Water itself is fine, chemical levels are fine. I have a pool heater and a booster pump for the Polaris.

Thanks a bunch,
Eduardo

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”