problems with the filter system

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
bulldog

problems with the filter system

Postby bulldog » Fri 12 Sep, 2008 12:20

I am having some problems wit my pool first the pressure is to high is up to 18 to 20 psi I backwash the filter in the morning and the gauge goes down to 8 or 9 psi but by the end of the day is back high again so I wash the filter put new DE and will run ok but by the end of the day is high again so I did a backwash but now when I put the filter back into the filter positon and I turn the pump back on I can see sand coming thru the jets any sugestions will appreciated.

Re: problems with the filter system

Postby Guest » Fri 12 Sep, 2008 14:39

You say you see sand coming back into the pool. Do you have a DE or sand filter?

bulldog wrote:I am having some problems wit my pool first the pressure is to high is up to 18 to 20 psi I backwash the filter in the morning and the gauge goes down to 8 or 9 psi but by the end of the day is back high again so I wash the filter put new DE and will run ok but by the end of the day is high again so I did a backwash but now when I put the filter back into the filter positon and I turn the pump back on I can see sand coming thru the jets any sugestions will appreciated.
bulldog

Re: problems with the filter system

Postby bulldog » Wed 17 Sep, 2008 09:47

Anonymous wrote:You say you see sand coming back into the pool. Do you have a DE or sand filter?
I have a DE filter

bulldog wrote:I am having some problems wit my pool first the pressure is to high is up to 18 to 20 psi I backwash the filter in the morning and the gauge goes down to 8 or 9 psi but by the end of the day is back high again so I wash the filter put new DE and will run ok but by the end of the day is high again so I did a backwash but now when I put the filter back into the filter positon and I turn the pump back on I can see sand coming thru the jets any sugestions will appreciated.

Postby Guest » Wed 17 Sep, 2008 16:33

First on the rising pressure. Is your water clear or are you dealing with algae? Algae will clog a DE filter pretty quickly.

If pressure rises constantly in a DE filter you may need more than just a backwash or even taking it apart and hosing off the grids. A chemical treatment may be needed to get the grids fully clean.

There are several areas to look at when debris comes back through the return lines. Examine the grids for rips or tears. Examine the manifold that the grids go into for cracks.

Also the multiport valve needs to be looked at. There is a gasket in there that can be damaged and is easily replaced.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”