Pump won't start the first time

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
mdazb4
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pump won't start the first time

Postby mdazb4 » Sat 15 Nov, 2008 22:48

New to Forum...

I have a Sta-Rite 1 1/2 horse pump. 11 yrs old. When is starts (or tries to), it humms then stops like it tripped a breaker. After about 30 seconds it tries again and starts. Then it will run for the time duration. Is there a starter on these motors that can be replaced?

Thanks.....

Postby Guest » Sat 06 Dec, 2008 00:19

Most motors back then had a starter capacitor. It may be inside the back cover or perhaps on the outside of the motor (that big hump thing, you can't miss it) It's a little bigger than a D battery.

Also, you may want to check the points on the centrifugal switch. If they are not making good contact, you can replace the capacitor all day long and it won't make a difference. Look for a triangular shaped plasic piece inside the back cover. It has two flat copper strips that meet over the shaft of the motor where the points are located. When the ponts are in contact, the power from the capacitor can go into the windings, jolting them to start. When the motor spins up, the weighted spring triggers as a result of the centrifugal force, and the bottom point drops out of contact with the top one, breaking the capacitor from the circuit.

Take a piece of med to high grit sandpaper and place it between the points while holind them together and slide it through, being sure to do this on both sides to clean the points. Be sure not to deform copper springs. To check, make sure the points are touching when the centrifugal switch is "up" and that they are not touching when you push the spring loaded switch "down".

Other than that, the motor may just be shot!!

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”