intelliflo 3050 vs 4160

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
kahlds
I'm new here
I'm new here

intelliflo 3050 vs 4160

Postby kahlds » Wed 24 Dec, 2008 15:18

Can somebody tell me the difference between these two pumps? I was under the impression that I was getting a 3050, however, a pool company installed a 4160 instead. Any help would be appreciated.

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 24 Dec, 2008 19:03

The 3050 (aka VF) is more advanced and more expensive because it measures the flow rate and adjusts its speed automatically to maintain the desired flow rate.

The 4160 (aka VS or 4x160) lets you specify the RPM (speed) but not the flow rate. So you have to figure out what RPM you want. If you want to adjust the flow rate, then you'll have to get a separately installed flow meter and do the adjustment of RPM vs. flow for your situation (i.e. pre-program a fixed RPM).

Certainly, if you paid for a 3050, you should get a 3050.

Richard
robthebuilder

pump

Postby robthebuilder » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 21:31

do you have a remote system? pentair? that is maby why they were able to use the 4x160 it is basicly the same thing minus the full computer screen. you can dial it in just the same as the v.f
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 22:31

Even with the InteliTouch system, if you have a 4x160 you still won't be able to control by flow rate, only by RPM. If you have a flow meter, then you can figure out the corresponding RPM for the flow you want though it won't adjust automatically based on a filter that is getting more dirt in it, for example. This isn't a big deal, but InteliTouch + 4x160 is not the same as a full Inteliflo 3050 (VF) model.

Also, the Intelliflo pump is able to turn off when it reaches the desired number of turnovers, even if there are special features that have turned on at higher flow rates which then make it turn off sooner than it otherwise would.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”