Something caught in the suction

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
longday

Something caught in the suction

Postby longday » Wed 04 Feb, 2009 13:33

I'm hoping someone can help! We have a Hayward Navigator that runs through the skimmer intake. The cone from the pressure adjuster on the Hayward came off and got sucked into the skimmer. We've tried everything we can think of to get it out - letting it flow through to the bubble trap and putting a hose in the bubble trap to try to flush it back into the skimmer box. I thought of removing the spa/pool suction lever, but I'm not a pool expert, and worried about how hard it will be to put back together.

Anyway, long story short, the skimmer box is no longer sucking, and the bubble trap is full of air. I can only assume it's due to the foreign object stuck in there, and maybe some leaves that have built up around it.

Can anyone advise what I should do now, or if I have to get an expert out, how much it should cost (San Diego, CA). We're dead broke at the moment, so if we can do it ourselves, that would be awesome.

Thanks again!

lonestar
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby lonestar » Thu 05 Feb, 2009 15:34

What do you mean by pool/spa suction lever? Is this a valve that switches between pool and spa by the pump?

Is this an in ground pool? Do you have more than one skimmer? Do you have seperate valves for your main drain and each skimmer?

Have you tried using a "plumbers bag?" This is essentially a bag that attatches to the end of a water hose and stops up the pipe allowing all the water pressure to push through. This would be used from the pump side pushing back towards the pool and skimmer.
longday

Postby longday » Thu 05 Feb, 2009 17:45

Thanks for your response!

Yes, by lever I mean the valve that switches between spa & pool suction.

This is an in-ground, and we only have one skimmer.

I haven't tried a plumbers bag...where would we get one?

Thanks again,
LD
lonestar
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby lonestar » Fri 06 Feb, 2009 20:05

hardware store. "to unclog drains."

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”