Zeobrite and cloudy pool water

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Jere B Lutz
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Jere B Lutz » Wed 25 Feb, 2009 18:51

Switched from chlorine to Baquacil about 12 years ago and for years have had crystal clear water until about 4 years ago my DE filter required backwashing and DE changing frequently. I installed a sand filter and again enjoyed clear water without the frequent DE problems until last year when I could not clear up my water. It was so cloudy I could not see the bottom of the pool in the 3 ft shallow end. Almost daily visits to my pool dealership to have water samples analyzed resulted in them advising massive doses of the Hydrogen Peroxide chemical, sometimes 5 gallon at a time. When observing no improvement to my water I switched to another pool dealership that recommended I add a chemical called “Pool First Aid.” This had a minimal improvement when I could then see the pool bottom at the 7 ft deep end.
This spring I propose to change the filtering media from sand to Zeobrite. I am not familiar with this product and have many questions and requesting feedback from currant users of Zeobrite.
How much Zeobrite would be required for a filter that required 200 pound of sand ?
Do you add anything else to the product such as stones or sand ?
Do you backwash the same as sand ?
Will this last as long as sand before changing ?

Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Re: Zeobrite and cloudy pool water

Postby Larry » Wed 25 Feb, 2009 19:37

How much Zeobrite would be required for a filter that required 200 pound of sand ?
Do you add anything else to the product such as stones or sand ?
Do you backwash the same as sand ?
Will this last as long as sand before changing ?

• You will need 50% - 65% of the sand requirement by weight. The volume is the same but with a lower density.
  • We don't use stones, sand, gravel or anything else.
  • Initially you may have to backwash more often until the pool clears (for a week or two). After that the backwashing frequency is the same or less. Backwashing also tends to be quicker to achieve the same results.
  • Zeolites are generally softer than quartz so they break down faster. You will need to inspect the zeolite as you would with sand and top up if necessary. The projected useful life of zeolites is 5 years though with regular maintenance and top ups this could be longer.
Paul Teague

Postby Paul Teague » Sun 30 Aug, 2009 13:39

Run for your lives! Out of the frying pan into the fire! Zeobrite is not the answer look at my other post.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”