DE to Sand and then YUK!

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
poobs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 14'000 in ground green alagae filled. :)

DE to Sand and then YUK!

Postby poobs » Sun 08 Mar, 2009 10:44

My pool is in ground 14'000 gal with a 1 hp pump. The DE filter started to act up including blow by and algae that it used to be able to filter.

By the time I got around to working on it the pool looked like the blacl lagoon. I dumped lots of liquid clorine to remove the smell while I sorted out the filter. The water stayed cloudy.
A neighbor gave me a smallish sand filter missing the laterals. Filter's about 3 feet tall with a Hayward 4 way valve for a lid/top. I made laterals out of pvc tube by cutting fine slits into them then I poured enough pool sand to fill the filter 85% about 3 bags.

I reclorinated the pool with 5 gal of liquid clorine and fired up the filter.

Here is the odd part - when I recirculate the spa water thru the filter the water does not seem to get any clearer. The filter backwash does not seem to put out dirty water.

I mixed one scoop of DE in a 2 gal bucket of water and pured it into the skimmer while watching the filtered water and the filter seems to capture the DE but not the greenish algae old DE that is suspended in the water.

I was thinking of going for a Hayward 120 cartdridge filter but fear having the same problems

My pool now is green with white foam on top

HELP !!!

Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

DE to Sand and then YUK!

Postby Me... » Sun 08 Mar, 2009 11:14

It can take DAYS of shocking/filtering to clean up a mess like that. That is IF you equipment is working properly, which would be suspect although sounds like it must be doing something. You don't give any time frames for filtration or chemical treatments. Add that and more ideas will show up here.
poobs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

DE to Sand and then YUK!

Postby poobs » Sun 08 Mar, 2009 16:31

I took a sample of my pea soup water to the local pool store for water analysis

They prescribed liquid clorine and Alkalinity increser both cost money so I am wondering if it is worth doing not knowing if the filter works.....

Fortunately my kids are not using the pool.

Incidentally, I am out of work now so every penny counts.
poobs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

DE to Sand and then YUK!

Postby poobs » Sat 21 Mar, 2009 21:03

Well , I got the water parameters as prescribed by the pool store but had to change a $17.00 valve in my chlorinator to get it to work.
Unfortunately the cartridge filter that I ordered has not arrived yet so all I am doing is recirculation of dirty chlorinated water - A mix of dead algae, suspended DE and chlorine.

The temporary sand filter seems to quickly clog and looses the pump prime.

I tried backflusing, removing sand and even took out the laterals and wrapped the piece with the holes in plastic netting that seemed to have larger holes than the laterals. The filter does not even seem to blow sand in the pool. It still losses prime after about 10 minutes of operation. :roll: :thumbdown:
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

DE to Sand

Postby Larry » Mon 23 Mar, 2009 01:22

The pump loses prime due to problems on the suction side. A clogged filter cannot cause a pump to suck air. Try to determine where the pump is drawing air from as this air will keep creating problems for you, even with a new filter.

I got the water parameters as prescribed by the pool store

Could you post them here.

Larry
poobs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

DE to Sand

Postby poobs » Mon 23 Mar, 2009 18:52

Larry wrote:

The pump loses prime due to problems on the suction side. A clogged filter cannot cause a pump to suck air. Try to determine where the pump is drawing air from as this air will keep creating problems for you, even with a new filter.

I got the water parameters as prescribed by the pool store

Could you post them here.

Larry

I very well could have an intake leak or it is the pump cavitating since it can't get water past the sand...I'll check it out anyway.

Before I forget, should I expect the new cartridge filter filter out some of the algae and DE in the water ?

There are some parameters left blank. I assume because they are below the measurement threshold.

Total Chlorine
Free Chlorine .5 ppm
PH 7.5
Acid demand
Base demand
Total alkalinity 90 ppm
Calcium Hardness 325 ppm
Stabilizer 90 ppm

Any input will be greatly appreciated
Larry
Pool Forums Admin

DE to Sand and then YUK!

Postby Larry » Tue 24 Mar, 2009 03:01

should I expect the new cartridge filter filter out some of the algae and DE in the water ?

The cartridge will filter out some of the algae and should trap all the DE. After it traps the DE it will be able to hold more of the algae. Hopefully the filter arrives soon. :)

As far as the levels go, they are not too bad overall.
  • You need to add chlorine to get the free chlorine level above 3.0ppm and keep it there until your pool clears. Richard (chem geek) recommends a minimum of 7.5% of the stabilizer level. This would be 6.8ppm free chlorine for your pool.
  • Calcium hardness is approaching the maximum recommended level (400ppm) so you should avoid excessive use of calcium hypochlorite (cal hypo, granular shock chlorine). Consider using liquid chlorine or bleach.
  • The stabilizer level has reached the maximum level recommended for swimming pools so you should avoid using stabilized chlorine products (dichlor, trichlor, tablets). Consider using liquid chlorine or bleach.

Larry
poobs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

DE to Sand and then YUK!

Postby poobs » Tue 24 Mar, 2009 08:55

Larry wrote:
should I expect the new cartridge filter filter out some of the algae and DE in the water ?

The cartridge will filter out some of the algae and should trap all the DE. After it traps the DE it will be able to hold more of the algae. Hopefully the filter arrives soon. :)

As far as the levels go, they are not too bad overall.
  • You need to add chlorine to get the free chlorine level above 3.0ppm and keep it there until your pool clears. Richard (chem geek) recommends a minimum of 7.5% of the stabilizer level. This would be 6.8ppm free chlorine for your pool.
  • Calcium hardness is approaching the maximum recommended level (400ppm) so you should avoid excessive use of calcium hypochlorite (cal hypo, granular shock chlorine). Consider using liquid chlorine or bleach.
  • The stabilizer level has reached the maximum level recommended for swimming pools so you should avoid using stabilized chlorine products (dichlor, trichlor, tablets). Consider using liquid chlorine or bleach.

Larry

Thanks Larry. My pool hungry kids and I thank you.

Liquid chlorine is all I have used for the last few weeks. unfortunately it returns to its green state.
I think it is a combination of not enough running time during the winter plus the fact that the filter was not really filtering. Would the DE and the dead algae drive up the need for chlorine ?

My tablet type chlorinator was also partially clogged.

The new filter came in last night so today I am picking up 5 gal of chlorine and the fittings to connect the filter.

I'm hoping once I get a fresh start with adequate filtration, chlorination and correct water parameters it will help.

I'm also in need of an automatic pool sweeper. There were some on line that looked affordable but the design seemed sort of bogus to me. They looked like a cross between a bathing cap and a mop. :) I'm used to compact crawl along the bottom types :?

Thanks
Larry
Pool Forums Admin

DE to Sand and then YUK!

Postby Larry » Tue 24 Mar, 2009 13:36

Liquid chlorine is all I have used for the last few weeks. unfortunately it returns to its green state.
I think it is a combination of not enough running time during the winter plus the fact that the filter was not really filtering. Would the DE and the dead algae drive up the need for chlorine ?

The dead algae would increase the chlorine demand, though the reason the pool keeps turning green is that your free chlorine level keeps falling. The level should not fall below 3.0ppm until the water is sparkling. It can take up to 10 times the chlorine level to destroy algae as it does to prevent it.

I wrote:Richard (chem geek) recommends a minimum of 7.5% of the stabilizer level. This would be 6.8ppm free chlorine for your pool.

Adequate chlorination at the right pH is essential to getting your pool clear. Once it gets "better", only (relatively) minor maintenace will keep it clean and clear.

Larry
poobs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

DE to Sand and then YUK!

Postby poobs » Wed 25 Mar, 2009 07:17

"It can take up to 10 times the chlorine level to destroy algae as it does to prevent it."

This is what I have been up against the last couple of months :eh: not having the money to tackle the problem head on.

I spent some time last night after work trying to lay out and locate the new filter in relation to the existing pipes, pump etc. It seems like 6 of one half doz of the other as far as trying to minimize bends etc. I'll have 3 90 degrees to get the filter inlet connected to the pump and I think two to the two way valve that leads to the pool and spa.

If I raise the filter up on a couple of cinder blocks I can save 1 maybe two bends but I don't like the look.

I dumped the chlorine in yesterday....

DE to Sand and then YUK!

Postby Guest » Wed 25 Mar, 2009 07:41

not having the money to tackle the problem head on

By half tackling the problem over and over again you end up spending way more money. Get it right once and you'll start saving $$$.
:wink:
poobs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

DE to Sand and then YUK!

Postby poobs » Thu 26 Mar, 2009 14:19

Pool User wrote:
not having the money to tackle the problem head on

By half tackling the problem over and over again you end up spending way more money. Get it right once and you'll start saving $$$.
:wink:

You are right but it was hard to justify a new filter etc in the middle of winter.

The people at the pool store also gave me bogus information. I received conflicting info from various people within the same store and also other stores from the same chain. I don't think they meant to deceive me but basically I had to find out for myself - they only sold me chemicals. :roll:

Hopefully today I will plumb the new filter and take it out for a spin :mrgreen:

There is lots of crap falling thru the netting on the pool cage and into the water but I have to get the tree trimmed to alleviate that for next season.
poobs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

DE to Sand and then YUK!

Postby poobs » Fri 27 Mar, 2009 08:32

Filter is up and running with the exception of a leak. Since everything is cemented in with pvc cement I have to buy a replacement fitting and cut the pipe to fix the leak. It seems to be the threaded fitting into the filter. Maybe not enough tefflon tape ( ? )

The water looks cloudy..... I don't know if the filter will take care of that or if I need a clarifier etc ( ? )

Thanks
:)
Larry
Pool Forums Admin

DE to Sand and then YUK!

Postby Larry » Fri 27 Mar, 2009 09:16

Good job!

Now run the pump for 24 - 48 hours before thinking about a clarifier or flocculant. Your poor pool has had an overdose of chemicals already and doesn't need any unnecessary extra treatment. :wink:

Make sure the pH is in range and the free chlorine level remains high until the water clears. Hopefully it's not long now till the pool water clears and sparkles. :thumbup:

Larry
poobs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

DE to Sand and then YUK!

Postby poobs » Fri 27 Mar, 2009 16:29

Larry wrote:Good job!

Now run the pump for 24 - 48 hours before thinking about a clarifier or flocculant. Your poor pool has had an overdose of chemicals already and doesn't need any unnecessary extra treatment. :wink:

Make sure the pH is in range and the free chlorine level remains high until the water clears. Hopefully it's not long now till the pool water clears and sparkles. :thumbup:

Larry

The water looked a tad better today after running the filter over night. Can't see the bottom because it is cloudy but it is not green.

I visited my local pool racket and they said my water is perfect ( whatever that means ). The tablet chlorinator is at "full"

Total Chlorine is at 3 ppm
Free Chlorine is at 3 ppm
PH is 7.4
Total Alkalinity 115 ppm
Calcium Hardness is 280 ppm
Stabilizer is 100 ppm

I brought in my battered pool robot and they want $150.00 to fix it so I bailed.
Mine is the chubby one with the two little winglets that flap up/down.
EBay has the ones that look like a cheap umbrella for a little over $100 but I am leary of them .... :roll:

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”