Pump motor froze ,,,,,I think,,,,,

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
BigLeefromSC
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby BigLeefromSC » Fri 20 Mar, 2009 13:15

I have a hayward pump, that the motor has frozen up over the winter. It will power on and give the ole humming noise, but won't run. I have had this problem in the past with a polaris pump motor, but it has a plug on the back that you can put a socket on and free up. Is there a way to free this pump motor up without taking the whole pump apart ? I took the rear cover off, but all was there was just the wiring. Any help would be appreciated.

Postby Guest » Sat 21 Mar, 2009 01:31

Model number would help. You need to give the motor a turn to release the jam.

Give us the pump info or check out the catalog for your Hayward pump.
BigLeefromSC
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby BigLeefromSC » Thu 26 Mar, 2009 20:10

OK, i got it, took housing off and turned impeller, everything working now, but,,,,,,,,,,,bearings are shot. Making such a whining noise, you can't enjoy the backyard. Took motor off, took to local motor repair for new bearings. But, to my good luck I have, 3 of the long bolts that hold the motor together broke. So, therefore a new motor was purchased and everything is hunky dorey now.

Postby Guest » Fri 27 Mar, 2009 00:37

3 of the long bolts that hold the motor together broke. So, therefore a new motor was purchased

Those long bolts are standard fare for electric motors and should have been replaced. If it were my pump I would not have bought a new pump over a set of bearings and 3 bolts.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”