Trying to clean my pool but it won't suck anything...

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
palace101

Postby palace101 » Tue 24 Mar, 2009 14:06

I have been trying to clean out my pool for the kids to play in, but there is some debris on the bottom of the pool, I have been almost keeping up with the chemicals... but have no idea what all the pipes coming out of the pump do and if I am supposed to turn any of them. I tried to vacuum the pool today but there was only suction for a few minutes. My husband is gone and I am trying to take care of this without paying anyone. Please help...

Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Postby Larry » Tue 24 Mar, 2009 17:35

Without knowing how many pipes and valves there are, and what they connect, it is almost impossible to help. Every pool is slightly different from the next.

Try take a picture of the pump and filter setup and perhaps we can figure out the plumbing from that.

This picture posting guide can help you get your picture loaded on the forums.
palace101
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby palace101 » Wed 25 Mar, 2009 09:54

Here are the pictures that I took of the pool pump and filter system... the kreepy klear does not work. I learned that the hard way, after I dumped bags and bags of salt into the pool like the local pool company told me to. It took a lot of time and cash to fix that mistake.
Attachments
DSC09549_800x600.JPG
DSC09549_800x600.JPG (101.62 KiB) Viewed 22519 times
DSC09548_800x600.JPG
DSC09548_800x600.JPG (122.98 KiB) Viewed 22517 times
DSC09547_450x600.JPG
DSC09547_450x600.JPG (73.48 KiB) Viewed 22513 times
POolay

Postby POolay » Wed 25 Mar, 2009 10:24

You need to close one of the red handled valves before the pump.
palace101
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby palace101 » Wed 25 Mar, 2009 10:29

I know that one goes to the skimmer and one goes to the spot at the bottom of the pool but I don't know which one is which... how do I find this out?
poolcare

Postby poolcare » Wed 25 Mar, 2009 12:08

Close one valve and check if there is suction in the skimmer or if the Kreepy starts working. If not then try the other.

The valve after the filter must stay open during normal filtration.

You also need to fill the hose with water before you vacuum or the pump will lose prime and there will be no suction. :wink:
palace101
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby palace101 » Wed 25 Mar, 2009 14:13

I tried closing one valve and there was no suction that I could feel (but I didn't get into the pool to check the one at the bottom of the pool). So then I tried the other one and there was a little suction but not enough to even pull up a leaf. I made sure that the pump was primed and that there was no air in the hose so I am guessing that this one is the pipe with the problem. Now where do I go from here??? Thanks for everyone's help, my kids beg to go in the pool everyday but I can't get it cleaned.

Postby Guest » Thu 26 Mar, 2009 00:54

If there is more than one skimmer or there is a dedicated vacuum line then you need to shut off one or more skimmers until the pump is only drawing water from one point.

The filter may need backwashing or the pump basket may be full of leaves.

With the pump running what pressure does the gauge show? When you use the vacuum does the pressure change?
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Thu 26 Mar, 2009 07:05

If you want to check if the filter is plugged up, try recirculate. The water only goes through the dial valve, not the sand.

Turn off the pump. change the valve to recirculate, turn on the pump. If you see lots more water circulating through the skimmer and return fittings then you know the filter is plugged up. Always turn the pump off when changing the dial valve position.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”