Replaced pump, problems

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
unix4me

Replaced pump, problems

Postby unix4me » Sat 04 Apr, 2009 19:50

i replaced my pump today and i'm having a weird problem. Old pump was 3/4 horse and worn out, new pump is 1.5 horse Sta-Rite. Pool is 12,500 gallons gunnite in florida.

After firing up the new pump, i heard a gargling sound from behind the pool. After investigating, there is a pvc pipe coming up out of the ground back there with a T on top. The sides of the T are open. I always wondered what this pipe was for, never bothered asking anyone. That pipe is gargling and sucking air i think. Also, the 2 jets above the seat (directly in front of where the pipe is) are blowing mega bubbles. I started thinking about this. Is this suppose to happen? Are those jets on the seat supposed to be like spa jets or somehting and blow bubbles like that? Are the bubbles intentionally created by that pipe sticking up?

Or, do i have serious problems?

Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Replaced pump, problems

Postby Me... » Sun 05 Apr, 2009 09:56

I'm going to guess your new pump is far too big for your system. No idea what the TEE behind the pool is but as a guess I would say a vacuum relief? Or incomplete plumbing for something but that sounds odd too. Sounds like the tee is allowing your pump to suck air which is going through your system and back out the returns. I am thinking the TEE opening must be above normal pool level?
unix4me

Replaced pump, problems

Postby unix4me » Sun 05 Apr, 2009 13:40

i figured out what it is. It's a venturi for the seat jets. It allows air to be mixed into the line for those jets and makes the seat like a spa. I never knew this because the previous pump didnt have enough ooomph to make it happen. Everything is working great now.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”