Smoking pump!

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.

Smoking pump!

Postby Guest » Sat 27 May, 2006 08:58

Hello folks. Today I dismantled my pump as it had a stone stuck in one of the fins. I removed the stone and the pump failed to re-start. I prompted it and it began but then started smoking and then gave up - ouch!

I think the pump needs replacing but I'm not sure which make or model to buy. My pool's dimensions are about 40 M2.

Any suggestions greatfully received...

carusoswi
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby carusoswi » Sun 28 May, 2006 17:19

I would make a note of all the specifications listed on the motor's label - what horsepower it is (usually around 3/4 HP) and so forth. Take that info to your local pool supply store. It helps also if you can tell them the brand of your system. If you need additional info, they should be able to tell you what additional info you need.

If you are able to remove the motor (as you seem most able to do), take it along with you to the store.

You don't want to replace your pump motor with one that is more or less powerful. They will also give you pointers on how to remove the impeller and replace it - they will also explain to you about the seal that you'll need to install on the new motor.

If you want to keep things simple, order up a complete unit - this might take several days (which is why I never did that) - then, all you have to do is bolt the new unit in place, make the electrical connection, and you are back in business.

Most of my problems with pool motors were discovered during initial seasonal start up. That's why I usually investigated and made the repairs myself - you've uncovered the pool - need to start circulation, and something is broken. I was never willing to wait until servicemen could take care of whatever it was.

Good luck. Sounds like you are quite capable.

Caruso
LarryLeon
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: My swimming pool isn't big but very cozy with a hit device for winter!

Re: Smoking pump!

Postby LarryLeon » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 09:03

I had a funny story with the same motor! It was very nice as we were outside and we tried to launch the motor when it suddenly started smoking! I was shocked as it was just bought motor! In a few minutes laters it stopped! Than I tried again to turn it on again! In several seconds it started smoking again! But when I came to the motor I saw my sister who was smoking *spamm* and she was making it intendently!

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”