Replacement Pump Advice

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
americano
I'm new here
I'm new here

Replacement Pump Advice

Postby americano » Sun 26 Apr, 2009 14:11

Background
I have an older ~16000 gallon diving pool (home built in 71) with a newer DE filter (pentair FNSP48) which appears to be installed in 2005. The pump was a little difficult to determine (sticker was very warn / sun damaged) but Hayward support believes it's a Hayward 1HP Super II Pump 230V. The pump is located approximately 9ft from the skimmer location (where the only suction is coming from), at ground level. The Filter Pressure typically reads around 8 PSI.

I use a Hayward Ultra Pool Vac and skimming for cleaning. The gauge supplied with the cleaner located elbowed at the skimmer (100% pressure devoted to the vac, 0% to skimming) is -3Hg (barley moves the guage). The vacuum runs and cleans, but it will not climb the walls - you can see a line of dirt as far as it will climb. Furthermore, the Hayward pressure spring gauge / tester barely meets the minimum suction even when 100% is diverted to it.

A Handyman indicated that the bearings appear to be wearing out on the motor (sound), and they unbolted the motor from the other half of the entire pump to reveal a damaged impeller and discoloration on the seal (between the two parts) that most likely is leaking pressure.

Question
I'm not sure if it's the best place to start, but I feel the pump needs attention, and it's so old I should probably replace it with a new one instead of rebuilding it. Please let me know if you feel this is a mistake.

So my goals of the pump are to (in order):
1. be able operate the vacuum with enough pressure AND skim (at the same time).
2. Quieter the better (pump is 9ft away from pool)
3. Conserve energy
4. not damage anything in the process :)
5. Do this cost-effectively

Does anybody have any recommendations for the replacement pump I should use? Doing some preliminary research (mostly based on marketing), I was interested in the Pentair Whisperflo as it claims quiet, energy-efficient operation and the brand seems to have a pretty good rep. When I called some pool companies to see what they recommended they said I should use the SuperFlo instead because the WhisperFlo (1HP) would be too much force and destroy my plumbing. If this is the case, what would the pros/cons be of using a WhisperFlo 3/4HP pump? Would it still operate the pool and still be lower energy consumed?

All advice appreciated!

Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Replacement Pump Advice

Postby Me... » Mon 27 Apr, 2009 09:36

The Whisperflow 3/4hp is the better choice. Look for a WFE3 pump. The "E" indicates its the energy efficient model.

That said, the FNSP48 will take up to 96 GPM but that does mean the rest of the pool will. And 48gpm will give you better filtration qualities anyways. How many returns, main drains, skimmers etc in the pool? If you say dual main drains, a skimmer and 4 returns then grab the 1hp, WFE4 pump. Anything less, stick with the 3/4hp. You would also want to make sure you have at least 2" plumbing. It will NOT be efficient to attempt to push 96gpm through 1.5" plumbing.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”