Hydrostatic Plug Neccesary

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
jim1504
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 15k gal in ground, gunnite, pool/spa

Postby jim1504 » Tue 28 Apr, 2009 15:04

I've been doing a thorough cleaning of my gunite pool. After draining it, I noticed in my main drain was a PVC plug next to the drain line.Is a hydrostatic plug necessary in a gunite pool? Thanks

Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Wed 29 Apr, 2009 10:36

Depends if there is a ground water problem. No use trying to put an HRV in place of the plug if there is no collector installed under the main drain anyways. Also possible someone found a leaking HRV and simply put a plug in as a quick fix.

You might be well advised to have someone knowledgeable check that out for you. Floating your pool will not be a fun thing.
jim1504
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 15k gal in ground, gunnite, pool/spa

Postby jim1504 » Wed 29 Apr, 2009 16:54

Thanks for the help. I finally was able to get it out after cracking away the debri all around it. It is just a PVC plug. I have a pool tech coming out next week, I'll have him take a look.

Me... wrote:Depends if there is a ground water problem. No use trying to put an HRV in place of the plug if there is no collector installed under the main drain anyways. Also possible someone found a leaking HRV and simply put a plug in as a quick fix.

You might be well advised to have someone knowledgeable check that out for you. Floating your pool will not be a fun thing.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”