Can i buy a 2 spd pump and never use high spd?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
tehadakn4
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 23000gl, gunite

Postby tehadakn4 » Tue 19 May, 2009 01:00

Im trying to figure out what kind of pump and filter to buy to replace my current outdated setup. I have a 2hp (brand unknown) pump and old 300sq ft. cartidge filter (dont make parts for it). Im thinking i can go down to a 3/4 or 1 hp pump and a 200-300 sq ft cartidge. Also wondering if I go with 2 speed is there any reason to ever use high speed, I have no spa, fountains etc. My cleaner is polaris with a booster pump. thanks for any responses.

Aquaclear-NZ
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: ingound, 50,000L, gas heated, low energy pump and cartridge filter

Postby Aquaclear-NZ » Tue 19 May, 2009 03:56

so long as you get the water volume form low speed - then no, there really is no reason for it aside from this

two speed pumps that start at high speed the change to their lower speed do so for one reason, if the pump is above waterlevel it allows it to prime properly at high speed

aside form that, there really is nothing in your pool that requires the larger flow rates
Chocolate fish do not swim in hot water
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Tue 19 May, 2009 10:03

I would want to know pool gallonage, use and pipe sizing before suggesting anything.
tehadakn4
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 23000gl, gunite

Postby tehadakn4 » Tue 19 May, 2009 17:02

23000 gallon, 2" piping, use for normal filtering and circulation. Not a whole lot of swimmer use.
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Tue 19 May, 2009 21:13

Working from the piping, you are limited to about 90 gpm. Hopefully you have at least 4 returns, a skimmer and a dual main drain. That would be an awesome flowrate for a 36" sand filter. You would require the 90 or so gpm to backwash properly so a 1.5hp pump would be needed. This would be a 4hour turnover, even more awesome.

Ok, so buy a 2-speed pump. Run on high to backwash, vacuum, add chems etc. and whenever else you need to really spin the water over. Lo speed will do about half the flow for about 1/8th the cost and therefore spin the pool over in about 8 hours which is probably a norm for a decent builder, many might not even give you that.

Pentair TR-140 Sand Filter and a Pentair 1.5hp, 2-speed Whisperflow pump.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”