Hayward multiport valve is junk

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
michaeld5680

Postby michaeld5680 » Fri 29 May, 2009 13:58

I would like to throw my hayward valve in the trash can. It's cracked, leaking, and expensive.
How about replacing it with a series of ball valves.

Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Sat 30 May, 2009 10:02

You could, but it would be a pain, probably almost as much money and you lose all the capabilities. If the DV is in that bad of shape, maybe the whole filter needs replacing? If not the new DV should outlast the filter, in fact the DV should outlast the pool if looked after and not outside sitting in the sun.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Sat 30 May, 2009 13:59

if this is a De filter you can put on a push & pull backwash valve that run $60-$80.

Like said above, maybe its time for a new filter & if its sand go to a better filter than that.
sharonjoyf2

Postby sharonjoyf2 » Sat 11 Jun, 2011 19:36

Seven years ago I bought a Hayward Sand Filter, after 6 years sand started leaking into my pool and ruined two Hayward Multiport valves. After replacing the laterals (probably unneccesary) we discovered a crack in the casing. So, I had a metal filter for 26 years but the Hayward fiberglass lasted 6. I am done with Hayward.

Postby Guest » Tue 03 Jul, 2012 20:48

Yes, the Hayward Valve is worthless, no actually it is worse than worthless. What a pain. Surely, there is an engineer that can come up with a better product and apparently they don't work at Hayward. If you want your pool to be emptied by this valve (down to skimmer level) when you are not expecting it go ahead and purchase it. The spider web gasket is a huge problem, of course chlorine dissolves it, but replacing one is almost impossible, that is, if you expect it to work properly. Leaks leaks, and more leaks. Put the new one in and glue it according to Haywards instructions and cross your finger and hope it doesn't leak, and it probably will. Overall, a dismal product that needs to be re-engineered by someone who cares about whether or not it works properly. The amount of money spent new replacement water I have had to put in my pool due to this lousy valve is crazy.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”