Best practices for sealing pool pvc connections?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
SuperD
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 27'x16' (5ft average depth)
Pentair cartridge filter 100 sq ft
8 HC-40 Heliocol solar heater panels

Postby SuperD » Fri 29 May, 2009 20:30

I was going to seal my threaded connections with the pipe dope with teflon in it, but the guy at Home Depot told me to get the cheaper pipe dope without teflon for that since he says teflon doesn't play nicely with pool chemicals. Is that right?

I've also heard from plumbers in the past that they like to do a few wraps of teflon tape then pipe dope on top of that to absolutely make sure they have a seal.

Which way is better?

Also, is the Oatey Rain or Shine equivalent to the Christy's red hot? They only carry the Oatey at home depot. If I do go with the blue stuff I know you don't need purple primer, but is there any benefit to adding primer?

I've never done high pressure pool connections before, but I have done a lot of PVC work on my sprinkler system, but that was all with the traditional purple primer and white cement.

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Sat 30 May, 2009 01:24

SuperD wrote:I was going to seal my threaded connections with the pipe dope with teflon in it, but the guy at Home Depot told me to get the cheaper pipe dope without teflon for that since he says teflon doesn't play nicely with pool chemicals. Is that right?

I've also heard from plumbers in the past that they like to do a few wraps of teflon tape then pipe dope on top of that to absolutely make sure they have a seal.

Which way is better?

Also, is the Oatey Rain or Shine equivalent to the Christy's red hot? They only carry the Oatey at home depot. If I do go with the blue stuff I know you don't need purple primer, but is there any benefit to adding primer?

I've never done high pressure pool connections before, but I have done a lot of PVC work on my sprinkler system, but that was all with the traditional purple primer and white cement.

Hi

Not sure there is a "correct" answer here. Some plumbers swear by teflon tape and and others prefer a pipe dope. I use a pipe dope on threaded connections and I have never heard of a problem using one with teflon in it.

I believe the Oatley is similar to the Christy's. A primer is used to prepare the pipe for the cement. The RAin or Shine or the Christy's don't need it. I use Christy's without primer and have for years. These glues set up VERY quickly so you have to be fast.
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Sun 31 May, 2009 09:55

2-3 wraps ONLY with teflon tape and a smear of "creamy" pipe dope and do not over tighten. I say creamy because if you see a few there are grainy ones which I like for gas work maybe, but not PVC plumbing. I say 2-3 wraps because I see people that seem to think 6-7 wraps or so makes a better job. NOT! And do not over tighten because that kills more equipment and joints than you can believe, plastic tends to crack a little easier than steel.

And always use primer with PVC. ABS pipe requires no primer but as far as I know there is no glue that does not require primer. Of course there may be claims, but always use it.
SuperD
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 27'x16' (5ft average depth)
Pentair cartridge filter 100 sq ft
8 HC-40 Heliocol solar heater panels

Postby SuperD » Sun 31 May, 2009 11:29

I got the hercules real-tuff with teflon "grains" in it before I read this post and applied it. It said it was for pvc and cpvc :? i hope its not going to break something in the long run.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Sun 31 May, 2009 11:56

the only time I have ever seen pipe dope start to leak at both the pump's threaded fittings is when the owner does not keep enough water in the pool & causes the pump to over heat melting the pipe dope & causing it to leak.

Everyone has there own ways of putting something on the threads but for me putting pipe dope on threads good and thick works great.
fayelooper
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby fayelooper » Fri 02 Sep, 2011 03:35

he's a home depot guy, certainly he knew all about pool pvc. just follow him and see if he's right.
"Don't wait for your ship to come in - swim out to it."

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”