Pentair pump wiring Line 1 Line 2?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
SuperD
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 27'x16' (5ft average depth)
Pentair cartridge filter 100 sq ft
8 HC-40 Heliocol solar heater panels

Postby SuperD » Sat 30 May, 2009 13:30

On a 230v motor install my wiring diagram shows Line 1 as the top post and Line 2 as the bottom post. What color wires are typically associated with which or is there a way to tell what wire should be my line 1 vs line 2? This is a pentair whisperflo.

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Sat 30 May, 2009 14:02

basically either or as long as you follow the diagram on the side of motor it does not matter when hooking it up to the timer.

I have seen black-black, white-black, red-black & all have been different.
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Sat 30 May, 2009 20:32

SuperD wrote:On a 230v motor install my wiring diagram shows Line 1 as the top post and Line 2 as the bottom post. What color wires are typically associated with which or is there a way to tell what wire should be my line 1 vs line 2? This is a pentair whisperflo.

On a 230 line typically you will have two current carrying wires and a ground. The "hot" wires are normally black or red. Like MrClean said, doesn't matter which hot wire goes to line 1 or line 2. The ground wire should be green and connect to the ground screw.
SuperD
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 27'x16' (5ft average depth)
Pentair cartridge filter 100 sq ft
8 HC-40 Heliocol solar heater panels

Postby SuperD » Sun 31 May, 2009 08:02

Ok I was confused because I didn't look at my clock diagram first. There it clearly labels the L1 and L2 posts. Thanks!

Postby Guest » Mon 08 Jun, 2009 13:43

I replaced my pentair booster pump over the weekend. The shaft is turning counterclockwise, when facing the pump intake. According to pentair this is backward, what did I do wrong?
Pool Newbie

Postby Pool Newbie » Tue 30 Jun, 2009 20:40

I think I have the same 2HP pump and was wondering where the neutral wire is supposed to go?

Here is a picture:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bill_delon ... 650749457/
Pool Newbie

Postby Pool Newbie » Tue 30 Jun, 2009 20:49

After thinking about it some more, can someone please confirm that I'm supposed to use 14-2 wire enclosed in metal conduit, run both the black and white wires to my HOT leads from the timer relay and then the bare ground goes to green. Then there really is no neutral in this diagram?

According to the electrical requirements diagram, I can use 14 AWG for 230V on 2HP less than 50'.
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Wed 01 Jul, 2009 01:35

Pool Newbie wrote:After thinking about it some more, can someone please confirm that I'm supposed to use 14-2 wire enclosed in metal conduit, run both the black and white wires to my HOT leads from the timer relay and then the bare ground goes to green. Then there really is no neutral in this diagram?

According to the electrical requirements diagram, I can use 14 AWG for 230V on 2HP less than 50'.

Hi,

What voltage is your time clock? Normally you would have 2 hot wires coming to the clock (black or red) and then you run 2 hot wires and ground to the pump motor.

I like to use sealtite flex conduit to run from the clock to the pump motor.
Pool Newbie

Postby Pool Newbie » Wed 01 Jul, 2009 08:06

Thanks for your feedback Denali.

I'm using a "Fiberstars WPC-2" Wireless Pool Control Unit with a timer that can be wired for either 110V or 220V with a max load of 3HP@8AMP continuous load.

I'm extremely disappointed with the so called "Technical Support" for Pentair. They refused to discuss anything about the wiring to the pump and wouldn't even confirm that there is no neutral wire to be installed on the pump.

I'll definitely buy the pvc flex line since that sounds like it's a lot easier to work with and use some 14-2 romex that I have left over from wiring my shed.

Thanks Again!
Pool Newbie

Postby Pool Newbie » Wed 01 Jul, 2009 08:28

Okay now I seem to have confused myself some more. I was originally thinking that I've got a single speed pump, but after looking at the wiring diagram on the side of the housing, it's making me think that it's a dual speed pump:

I say this only because it lists a LOW VOLTAGE and a HIGH VOLTAGE, but if it's a dual speed pump, then the wiring diagram for the WPC-2 shows 4 inputs to the pump and there is only room for 3 inputs.... :crazy:
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Wed 01 Jul, 2009 16:33

Pool Newbie wrote:Okay now I seem to have confused myself some more. I was originally thinking that I've got a single speed pump, but after looking at the wiring diagram on the side of the housing, it's making me think that it's a dual speed pump:

I say this only because it lists a LOW VOLTAGE and a HIGH VOLTAGE, but if it's a dual speed pump, then the wiring diagram for the WPC-2 shows 4 inputs to the pump and there is only room for 3 inputs.... :crazy:

The low and high voltage are just the diagrams for 110v and 220v. Normally they come wired for 220v so if that is what you are using from the time clock no need to change the wiring inside the motor.
Pool Newbie

Postby Pool Newbie » Mon 06 Jul, 2009 07:46

I went ahead and wired it as a single speed pump and all seems to working fine, minus a few leaks on the slip joints that had to be repaired. There's also a minor leak on the check valve through the clear glass sight. I've tightened the screws down as hard as I can manually, however the leak is still there. Does anyone know of a special gasket that might be missing or should I use my impact drill to tighten them down a little more?
SteveH

Postby SteveH » Sun 14 Mar, 2010 19:05

Hi,

Id like to confirm a US pool pump wiring concept. The average US pool pump has;

Three wires -
Active 1 (HOT/RED) - Phase 1 110V (0 Degrees)
Active 2 (HOT/RED) - Phase 2 110 V (180 dgrees)
Ground.

How this works is, by using two phases out of sync, both hot wires become a potential of around 230VAC, but alternating between active and neutral on each of the hot wires (thus their equal ambiguous red active colour).

Ground is ground.

Does this sound correct?

I will be cabling a new very sexy pentair VF pool pump here in Australia, and I need to confirm how this should be done. We have a clean single phase high current 240VAC Active, Neutral and Earth set up. Earth is used primarily as a reference to detect leakage (to shut of active during faults). Neutral is bonded to earth at the fuse box and is used as a current return for active. Active is a fat 240VAC/16A single phase hot supply. Although the US pump will receive a 230V supply, its active and neutral polarity will not be changing with phase - its this bit I need to confirm is ok.

Anyone experts have any suggestions or idea's?

Thanks,
Steve
SteveH

Postby SteveH » Fri 19 Mar, 2010 07:35

Here it is - works a treat!

http://users.tpg.com.au/srkh//pentairwired.JPG

SteveH wrote:Hi,

Id like to confirm a US pool pump wiring concept. The average US pool pump has;

Three wires -
Active 1 (HOT/RED) - Phase 1 110V (0 Degrees)
Active 2 (HOT/RED) - Phase 2 110 V (180 dgrees)
Ground.

How this works is, by using two phases out of sync, both hot wires become a potential of around 230VAC, but alternating between active and neutral on each of the hot wires (thus their equal ambiguous red active colour).

Ground is ground.

Does this sound correct?

I will be cabling a new very sexy pentair VF pool pump here in Australia, and I need to confirm how this should be done. We have a clean single phase high current 240VAC Active, Neutral and Earth set up. Earth is used primarily as a reference to detect leakage (to shut of active during faults). Neutral is bonded to earth at the fuse box and is used as a current return for active. Active is a fat 240VAC/16A single phase hot supply. Although the US pump will receive a 230V supply, its active and neutral polarity will not be changing with phase - its this bit I need to confirm is ok.

Anyone experts have any suggestions or idea's?

Thanks,
Steve
jemrgm

Postby jemrgm » Fri 02 Jul, 2010 17:48

I have a new pump w/ 115/230. My wiring used to be for a 2 speed pump. I have 2 black wires, 1 red wire and 1 green wire. Do I just hook up the 2 power wires and the green ground wire or do I need to hook up the red wire as well? I guessing that the red wire may have been used for the 2 speed option on the last pump.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”