Surging/Air problem

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
DarkNexxus
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex 18x48 Above ground with Hayward Power-Flo 1.5 pump and missile filter.

Surging/Air problem

Postby DarkNexxus » Mon 13 Jul, 2009 18:12

Hi! Welcome to your forums, okay, you know that already and no, I'm not a bot to sell you something.

I have an Intex EZ set pool, 18 x 48. I removed the standard pump and got a used Hayward Missile system pump. It has a 1.5 Power-Flo motor on it. Two days ago, I shut the pump off, removed the strainer lid, dropped in some 1 inch chlorine pellets, put the lid back on and turned it on. It started normally, then the water level dropped halfway in the pump, it sucked in more water, blew it out, dropped halfway again, and it's been like this every since. I shut it off last night and today we cleaned the filter. I checked all the openings for any obstacles, found none. I tightened up a few fittings that had been leaking, put it all back together and it's still doing this surging thing. I'm at a loss to figure it out and I'm hoping someone else has had this issue.

A little about the pump.
I bought it used from an unknown seller. It worked fine for the last two weeks.
I'm using the intex hoses and pool attachments (where the hoses hook onto the pool). These are 1.5 inch diameter hoses.
I've had issues in the past couple of days where the suction hose would close up on itself. I shut the pump down, flipped the hose from end to end and that solved the issue.
I've checked the filter with and without the screen on it from inside the pool.
The missile tube always has air in it. We bleed it everday and it's never showed more than 10 lbs on the pressure guage, most of the time it's at zero to two.

I think that's it. I appreciate any help you send my way, or if not, thanks for reading it.

DarkNexxus
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex 18x48 Above ground with Hayward Power-Flo 1.5 pump and missile filter.

Surging/Air problem

Postby DarkNexxus » Mon 20 Jul, 2009 04:38

Not a clue, eh? I found the problem and thought I'd share in case I forget next time or someone else has a similar problem. The O-ring gasket on the strainer lid had a crack in it. $3.99 at the local watsons, some grease and a few minutes was all it needed.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Surging/Air problem

Postby czechmate » Mon 20 Jul, 2009 14:59

Who gave you the advice to put chlorine tablets directly into the pump? It is not healhy for the filter element for sure, but deadly for the pump impeller. Usually air is a sign of a starving pump. But you may have ruined the impeller and now it does not have a enough blades to push water toward the filter any more. Specially if this adding chlorine practice was used before.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”