Urgent question on filtering-please help

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
sgaddis
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: New pool 18X36 vinyl inground. Salt water system. 1 Hp pump and DE filter.

Postby sgaddis » Sat 25 Jul, 2009 14:50

hey folks, gonna sign a pool contract tomorrow. My potential PB said:

Just add polyfill to my sand filter and it will get down to a low micron plus the DE is a lot more maintenance work.

Also, he said not to install a main drain in the bottom. The other recommends two main drains??!

The PB plans to put in an Aqua Rite XL SWG but it is single polarity. He says the reversing model has had lots of maintenance problems.

Thoughts/opinions??! Thank you.

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sat 25 Jul, 2009 17:57

Unless you've got multiple returns and skimmers in a special vertical circulatory pattern, you should get the two main drains in order to have better bottom circulation.
sgaddis
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: New pool 18X36 vinyl inground. Salt water system. 1 Hp pump and DE filter.

Postby sgaddis » Sun 26 Jul, 2009 18:46

Chem geek,

Thanks man. You helped me make the decision. I will go with 2 main drains. Any thoughts on the DE or sand or even cartridge type filter? I was told the DE is the best with low micron filtration but more maintenance and cost where the sand was the easier and the cartridge the easiest. Thank you!
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Mon 27 Jul, 2009 09:53

DE has the best rating as far as microns go BUT, you need to run it properly and very few people will ever do that. If you don't use it properly then it will still filter nicely but not to its potential. A pain to clean and there is the DE disposal issue.

Cartridge is next but unless you enjoy mucking about with the cleaning, which can happen lots on a pool, then pass on it. I like these best when a given pool/spa/fountain will not have the water volume needed to properly backwash a filter without running the water level way too low.

Sand will have the worst rating and if I get more than my 30 years experience in looking at pools, maybe one day I will see a difference between the 3 in a properly maintained pool. And sand is dead simple to use and pretty much problem free. Try to get your builder to install one that filters at about 12gpm per sq.ft. of surface area and you will have an awesome filter.

And, a GOOD test kit is your best friend. Not a 5 dollar ORP/pH kit but one that does Free Chlorine, Total Chlorine, pH (and possibly demand), Alkalinity, Calcium and Cyanuric Acid. There are very expensive kits which are great and lesser ones that still work. Consider the cost of your pool when deciding on this one very valuable, essential tool to maintain it.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”