New pump installed.. doesn't pump water

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
jacen007
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 30'x15' Straight sides rounded ends, 3.4' shallow/6' deep.. DE Filter, Hayward 1hp Superpump. Forclosed home.. pool in bad shape.

Postby jacen007 » Mon 27 Jul, 2009 08:49

Ok.. I'm a newbie.. bought a foclosed house with a pool in disrepair. Provious owners turned it into a pond.. not kidding. Anyways.. i replaced the pump. I fill the basket of the pump with water, seal it and start the pump. It runs and churns the water in that basket but the water doesn't actually move through the system. I have the valves right because if I put my water hose in the basket the water flows back to the skimmer and I can see the water flowing out of the skimmer. I'm not sure where to go from here. I opened the multi port to by pass the filter incase that was an issue but still nothing.. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
jason

Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Mon 27 Jul, 2009 10:11

Use your hose trick to see if water flows from the pump and out the returns back into the pool. Did you check if the returns had plugs in them for some reason? Was the "pond" circulating?
superdoopie
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby superdoopie » Tue 28 Jul, 2009 15:11

Your pool could be equipped with a "pool drain return" or "solar recirculation system." This valve needs to be off (off on the handle faces the pipe) when you're priming the pump. In general, either the main drain or the pool drain return should be off all the time. This setup is common on Anthony & Sylvan pools. They are headquartered in Cleveland, OH and I think they build pools in your area.

You could also try to prime the pump from only one source like one skimmer or only the drains. You should have 3 way valves that allow you to isolate the drains or each skimmer. if nothing works try to upload a picture of your equipment.
jacen007
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 30'x15' Straight sides rounded ends, 3.4' shallow/6' deep.. DE Filter, Hayward 1hp Superpump. Forclosed home.. pool in bad shape.

Postby jacen007 » Tue 28 Jul, 2009 15:22

Thanks guys! I think I got it figured out. I isolated the main drain and turned on the pump and that worked.. then i opened up the skimmer valve and everything was good.
sarah_ryan
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: my pool size is 7 feet deep

Postby sarah_ryan » Tue 14 Sep, 2010 00:58

Hey that's great that you sorted it out but one thing you need to remember that you should always use a good quality water pump so that it will not create trouble in future.
duraleigh
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 24X52 DIY Concrete and liner

Postby duraleigh » Tue 14 Sep, 2010 08:03

sarah_ryan,

Please don't spam us. Thank you.
24x52 DIY concrete block and liner
1.5HP pump 925lb sand filter
http://www.tftestkits.net

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”