pipe leak

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
scott19671967

pipe leak

Postby scott19671967 » Fri 04 Sep, 2009 06:53

All summer the pool has been fine but over the last two weeks, we are loosing about 3 or 4 inches in a 28 x 14 inground pool. I have checked the filter pump heater and all the l=hoses and seals are tight and dry. Does anyone know a way to try and pinpoint where the leak might be as the pipes go under the skimmer then under the pool to the pump filter heater. Also the pool is surrounded by concrete slabs and interlocking brick.

thanks any help would be great

scott19671967

pipe leak

Postby scott19671967 » Fri 04 Sep, 2009 07:05

also the water leak or 3 to 4 inches is in a day or two, and I know its not the liner as when the pump has been off for a couple days the water did not drop.It only drops the the pump is running and the pressure gage shows 15psi as it always does
APSI

pipe leak

Postby APSI » Fri 04 Sep, 2009 13:15

You did confirm your leak only occurs during pump operation? Is your plumbing at equipment pad copper pipes? Most leaks on pools do occur at skimmer, where skimmer attaches to pool. A dye test could prove this. As for pipe/fitting leaks, applying compressed air/gas to suction and return pipes could identify this. Pool leak detection is really an art. It would be best to hire a licensed leak detection service company.
scott19671967

pipe leak

Postby scott19671967 » Fri 04 Sep, 2009 13:19

thanks, that was my first guess and I will try that just the person I contacted wanted $300 plus tax to locate it, and that was all not to fix it

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”