New Pump loses prime when vacuuming

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
TKJ
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20X40 Inground with Hayward Super Pump 1hp. Multiport valve, Hayward sand filter

Postby TKJ » Wed 09 Sep, 2009 07:06

Several months ago I noticed the motor on our Hayward Super pump was running but no water was moving. We ordered a new pump, the exact same one. Turns out the impellar had spun off inside the pump. A few days after installing the new pump I noticed paint debris in my skimmers. This came from a neighbor that sandblasts and paints large equipment. He had a pool tech come out and PowerFloc the pool and also change the sand in my filter and check for Laterals damage. No damage in the filter . I started having problems when I vacuumed. I started noticing air bubbles coming from the jets. I always prime my hose fully before connecting to skimmer plate. I close one skimmer and use the other for connection, this always give the best suction. We had the multiport valve replaced thinking there may be a problem with that. Now I cannot even vacuum. I hook up the primed hose and start to vacuum, see air bubbles then the jets just stop and hose loses all suction.
I think the problems started after replacing the pump. Is it possible there is something wrong with that even though it works fine on filter. Could there be a clog in some pipe? I have also thought of the possibility of a suction leak.
I am at my wits end and want to get it fixed. My husband says we will just shut it down and cover it up. I intend to use it again so I need to have it fixed.I just wanted some imput before calling the costly pool repairman. Thanks for any help.

mypoolsupplyguys
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby mypoolsupplyguys » Wed 09 Sep, 2009 23:10

TKJ,

I would start with checking both skimmers as the suction, if both get the same air bubble result then you know its not the hard plump to the equipment. If the result does not change I would first check the actual vacuum hose from the vacuum head to the skimmer, if its old it may be about time for a new one.
TKJ
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20X40 Inground with Hayward Super Pump 1hp. Multiport valve, Hayward sand filter

Postby TKJ » Thu 10 Sep, 2009 06:02

I have two new hoses so I'm sure those are fine.
mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Thu 10 Sep, 2009 15:21

If there is air in the pump basket, that might indicate a suction side blockage. This could occur anywhere between the pump and the skimmer. This is also indicated by a drop in filter pressure from the normal condition.

If there is no air in the pump basket, then it could be a return side blockage. Does the pressure change when in filter mode vs vacuum to waste? Return side blockage after the filter results in a rise in filter pressure. However, if the blockage is between the pump and filter, the pressure will decrease.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”