Only 2 of 4 filters are dirty.

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
big ben
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby big ben » Sun 01 Nov, 2009 12:20

Hi, I have a 2.5 hp hayward pump and a 4 cartridge filter system for a 14,000 gallon in ground pool. I t is 6 years old now. The first 5 years were no problem, but this year I have been battling green algae. The only thing I noticed different was that only 2 filters are getting dirty, which explains why I have to clean twice as often this year. The 2 filters closest to the inlet and outlet tubes are dirty, but the back 2 are clean. Any idea why? The lines look clear.

Thank you

Mark

mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Sun 01 Nov, 2009 14:56

The front two will normally be a little dirtier than the back two but it shouldn't be by much. It could be there is something stuck in the return section of the filter where the filters sit on fittings. Try hosing them out when you remove the filters to clean them next.

Also, after cleaning make sure you rotate the filters into different slots as well as on axis. This will help extend the life of the filters. If you are already doing this and it is always the front two that only get dirty, then it is probably a blockage.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”