Pressure too high, but no clogs found

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
dan12345
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: large inground oval pool, about 40,000 cf.

Round filter. Self priming pump.

Postby dan12345 » Mon 21 Dec, 2009 16:59

Hello,
I have a pump and filter. The filter is cylinder shape and housed in a large black plastic cylinder with rounded top and presure gauge installed on top. It has PVC inlet and outlet about 2 inches diam each. I had it for over 4 years and no problems. The problem now is that pressure goes over 10psi and pressure realief valve opens up and shoos water out. The water suction out from the pool is very good.

It seems to me that the problem is that the water is under so much pressure that it cant escape fast enough, but why not i can not understand.

I tried to find the clog. I checked all the pipes for clogs-nothing, i run the pump without the filter-still high pressure i cleaned the pipes inside the filter housing - nothing, i changed the pressure gauge, still shoots water, I have connected the garden hose right after the filter to see how the water is disscharged. Looks like a nice flow, but the pressure is not constant. Every other second it abruptly breaks and resumes again with the same strenght as before - i think it is the way pump rotates and sucks the water.

I have not opened the pump/motor itself....could this be where the problem is? cloged spinning propeller? but that should not cause the pressure inside the system to rise, i think it would cause the water flow to slow down and lower the pressure inside. Please help ...

lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Postby lbridges » Mon 21 Dec, 2009 17:04

Based on the description I think it is the filter that is clogged and needs to be serviced.
dan12345
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: large inground oval pool, about 40,000 cf.

Round filter. Self priming pump.

Postby dan12345 » Mon 21 Dec, 2009 17:57

I dont think its filter, because i removed the filter and ran it, and nothing changed.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Mon 21 Dec, 2009 21:07

dan12345 wrote:The problem now is that pressure goes over 10psi and pressure realief valve opens up and shoos water out. The water suction out from the pool is very good.

1.Pressure around 10PSI suggests very nice flow. Most people have around 16 with clean filter.
2.There is usually only a bleeder cock at the pressure gauge. Needs to be closed after you bleed air.
3. If you have "very good suction" you cannot have obstruction in the return anywhere.
You would have to be dumping the water in a record flow to the waste or elsewhere, bypassing the filter.
How do you manage to suck large amounts and put hardly anything back through the filter can??

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”