Water leveler/float thingy

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
azdude

Postby azdude » Sun 27 Dec, 2009 16:48

I hope this is the correct area to post this question. Is there a good quality pool float/leveler that is recommended? Mine keeps failing and then my pool overflows. This has happened 3 times now. I currently have a brass one similar to this one http://www.amazon.com/Pool-Float-Valve- ... B000ZOCCIY
I would love to get this situation solved and appreciate your advice.

mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Sun 27 Dec, 2009 19:13

I've had mine for four plus years without a failure although I once had a raccoon open the lid and pull on the float but didn't break it just bent it. Exactly how does the valve fail? Does the float break off or does the valve itself fail? Does the metal in the valve look corroded?
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
azdude

Postby azdude » Sun 27 Dec, 2009 21:32

Hi Mark, thanks. The first one was different and I don't recall why it failed. I got the new one which is like the one pictured. It seems that what happens is that it comes loose where the adjustment is made. There are some grooves that basically "lock" together when the screw is tightened. Maybe I just need a new one but I figured if I was going to get one that I'd get one that lasts a while longer. I can take a picture of it tomorrow if you would like. Thanks for the help.
Rosie Marie

Postby Rosie Marie » Fri 17 Dec, 2010 15:17

We have a staypoollizer pool water leveler from amazon.com.
It hooks up to a water hose and sets on the deck next to the pool. The adjustment was simple , slide it to where you want the water level and it goes to work. We have had ours for over three years now and haven't had any problem with it. It gets a pretty good work out with our kids splashing water every where.
I would definitely recommend the staypoollizer to any one with a pool.
revooh
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 35'x18' oval 8'deep to 3' deep plaster with tile waterline, quartzite rock bond beam with rock waterfall. 1-2hp whisperflo and 1/3 hp Sequence waterfall pump. Sand filter

Postby revooh » Fri 31 Dec, 2010 16:37

Hi azdude, Just curious, since your post was a year ago, if you resolved your sticky automatic pool water leveler issue. I owned a natural swimming pool with koi fish...cool huh? I am now retired after 30 years of designing and building ponds and waterfalls into pools. My wife and I are traveling around the USA in a 40 ft. Winnebago Motor home. For the first eighteen years in the pond and waterfall construction business, I installed the typical "toilet-tank" type floats that are most common in the industry into all my projects.

I would estimate that out of close to 1,500 of them, a minimum or 10% stuck or jammed in the open position resulting in property damage and in a few cases, lawsuites. I obviously do not recommend this type of water levelers or auto fill floats. I experimented with dozens of mechanical floats (there are over 130 on the market) before discovering the electronic type. They are much more dependable. Check out the Levelor, Savio and AquaFill water levelers.

These can also be retro-fitted to existing pools and especially if you want to design a pond or design a pool from scratch. These type are ideal for new construction also.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”