High Filter PRESSURE BUT Less to No Water from Return Jets

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
turbomango
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby turbomango » Mon 25 Jan, 2010 14:06

The pool's returns were working fine up until today, but now practically no water is returning into pool, while the filter's meter starts up at 40.

The pool has a built-in jacuzzi. The jacuzzi's drain is closed at the pipes. The pool drain is open. The filter is brand new-- last year.

I'm in Miami. Pool was green for last 6 months. Not much debree in bottom but it did have a lot of tadpoles.

I dumped in half a jug of shock with clarifier. Let it sit overnight.

Next day it was much lighter. Filtered for 6 hours.

The following day the pool was looking even better. Filtered again, but less time bcs I started noticing filter's meter was climbing even after I'd pull the cartridge out and cleaned it... once every 2 hours or so.

The fourth day, bcs water was cloudy, I put in 9 ounces of multi-algea killer (pinch-a-penny). This caused suds and now, scum is floating on surface. Pool water IS looking clear in shallow end. However, when pump is turned on to filter,(cleaned filter again) pump filter now starts at 35, and very quickly goes to 40+. And as that happens, I get no pressure in the return jets in the water. In fact, I get no water returning as of a few minutes ago.

Last year the filter was running at 9 to 21. What is happening? Did I do something wrong? Could all this scum be able to stop the water from flowing around and back into the pool or is there something wrong with the pump or filter?

turbomango
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby turbomango » Mon 25 Jan, 2010 14:52

I want to add: I just pulled out the filter and started the pump. Filter meter is now running at 9 PSI and returns are bringing water into pool very nicely. I noted that the cartridge is very heay and sudsy (scummy actually).. even though it was sprayed clean moments before I turned it on and ran it just a 4 minutes or so.

Does this mean I should get a new cartridge for the filter, or should I clean it more thoroughly and more often until the scum suds get caught. Is there some way I can rid the scum without it going through the filter? Like maybe if I drop in some more shock?
AI

Postby AI » Mon 25 Jan, 2010 17:37

Filter blaster is one example of cartridge filter cleaning solutions applied then hosed off. However if your cartridges are four years or older replace them. 30-40 psi on filter tank is excessive pressure. Tanks generally have maximum pressure rating of 50. your pressure between pool and spa mode will vary because of plumbing resistants. Best to gauge filter tank pressure in pool mode. Once filters are replaced you will have a clean filter pressure, what ever it might be ( example 12 psi then with sharpy marker pen mark pressure gauge 10 psi over clean this example would be 22psi. ) Over time debris willl clogg your filter cartridges and create resistance increasing tank pressure and slowing water returns.
Guru
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Guru » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 15:10

It sounds like all that cleanup took a toll on the cartridge. Are you just rinsing with water? The most effective method to clean cartridges is very involved. If you want to save the year old carts, here's what you do: First, rinse with hose as best you can. Second, soak in a solution of water and TSP (tri-sodium phosphate) available at your local Home Depot or Lowes in the cleaners section. This soaking will degrease the cartridge. Next, soak in a mild (1-4 ratio) muriatic acid/water solution until chemical bubbling stops. This will remove any mineral buildup. Then a final rinse and your cartridge is as new as the day it was bought. Just ask if you need any more details. Hope this helps.
"Well I don't have a brain. All it does is get in the way of my cat-like instincts." -m.s.
flpoolman

Postby flpoolman » Tue 09 Mar, 2010 23:22

filter is clogged from the algae

take filter to carwash and blast it clean you will be amazed, save the 20bucks you would spend on filter cleaner and spend a buck for the car wash.

dont use a home pressure washer that is above 2500 psi it will rip your filter, car washes use 2500 or less psi

trust me ive done this for years on commercial pools that have 10 filters, it saves me hours with a weak garden hose, i can do 10 at the car wash in 20 minutes..

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”