New Pump humming only

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Kawab

New Pump humming only

Postby Kawab » Mon 31 May, 2010 17:15

We just got a new pump and filter. It is a 1.5 hp. It came already assembled we took it out of the box and hooded the filter up. We ran it for 3 days and than shut it off to backwash. When I switched to backwash and turned pump on all it did was hum... So I put it back on filter and still all it does is hum...I dont have any idea what could possible be wrong with it...Any suggestions on what I should do would be helpful..There is a warranty on the pump but I wouldnt think a brand new pump would go bad in 3 days.

riverdogg8899
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: my pool is kidney shaped and about 12,000 gallons

New Pump humming only

Postby riverdogg8899 » Tue 15 Jun, 2010 13:16

There might be something caught in the impellar. With the pump off, take the pump lid off and reach your hand in the mouth and see if you can turn the impellar freely. If not there is something clogged.

If you need help call me

Thanks Rob
www.reliablepoolsolutions.com

Kawab wrote:We just got a new pump and filter. It is a 1.5 hp. It came already assembled we took it out of the box and hooded the filter up. We ran it for 3 days and than shut it off to backwash. When I switched to backwash and turned pump on all it did was hum... So I put it back on filter and still all it does is hum...I dont have any idea what could possible be wrong with it...Any suggestions on what I should do would be helpful..There is a warranty on the pump but I wouldnt think a brand new pump would go bad in 3 days.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

New Pump humming only

Postby floridapooltech » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 10:34

Your pump may also be vibrating against the equipment pad. There is a plastic bracket the motor sits on to keep it from placing too much stress on the motor mount bracket. You can try to shim under it to see if this stops the noise. This is a very common problem as all it takes is the pvc to be slightly shorter to raise that bracket off the ground enough to make that irritating humming.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”