Pump/Filter On/Off During Pool Use?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
TabSinger2
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15' Round, Above Ground Pool. 4' deep. Sand Filter. Heavy Use (3 kids).

Postby TabSinger2 » Mon 21 Jun, 2010 23:05

Is it necessary to turn off the pump/filter while using our pool? Someone told my husband this and I've never heard of it. I have never swam in a pool that didn't have the filter running 24/7. We have a 15' round, above ground with a sand filter. It's heavily used by our 3 kids. Not running the filter all day gets us behind on the care pretty quick. He wants to save on electric by only running the filter for 3 hrs a night, but I say we need a minimum of 8hrs. What suggestions/information would you have? Thank you.

SteveM1800
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby SteveM1800 » Wed 23 Jun, 2010 14:53

It doesnt really matter if you run your system during the day or at night. I believe the best time to run your pool is during the day while everybody is in and out, because its better to capture all the dirt once it enters your pool ratherthan leaving everything off and all the debris settles to the bottom of your pool.
TabSinger2
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15' Round, Above Ground Pool. 4' deep. Sand Filter. Heavy Use (3 kids).

Postby TabSinger2 » Fri 25 Jun, 2010 00:05

His main issue is that someone told him that the pump will suck air if the water is sloshing hard in and out of the skimmer. I've never heard of it. I would think that the pump/filter could handle a little air, IF it took any in. It would be a small amount if it did.
DONIE999

Postby DONIE999 » Sat 14 Jul, 2012 21:36

lueRegarding answers to the question, someone should have indicated that it is, or it is not, mandatory to run the pool circulation pump whenever anyone is in the pool. The answer should be based on whether it's considered safer to circulate the water to continually clean dirt, or bacteria, from all swimmers in the pool. In addition, I do not like the feeling of swimming in stagnate water, and I always turn on the pump when swimming. What do the rest of you think about this subject based on safety concerns and not saving power?
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Mon 16 Jul, 2012 14:40

8 hours a day sounds ideal to be running the pump & filter this time of year. A 15 round is a bit smaller with less water, so you could probably get by running it 5 or 6 if you wanted to compromise, but 8 would be best.

My opinion - I would leave the system running while the kids are in there. 3 kids getting tracking their feet in and out of the pool will get it dirty real quick. They would have to splash a LOT of water out of the pool (2 inches or so) to get the pump sucking air down the skimmer.

Is your pool equipped with a bottom drain? If it is, you could just turn the skimmer suction off and run the drain while the kids are in the pool. That would eliminate any chance of the skimmer sucking air. It also helps the kids make a killer whirlpool!
Winch
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground vinyl 20x50

Re: Pump/Filter On/Off During Pool Use?

Postby Winch » Sat 08 Jun, 2019 09:45

I think this is purely a preference. Some people have heaters and want to feel hot water jetting out. Some like to have circulating water, whatever makes you feel good! But you don't have to. Best advice I got about running the pump was to do 8 hours a day and do it at night. Nighttime only because it is off peak hours that people use energy so costs you less.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sat 08 Jun, 2019 14:54

Sadly that advice was totally wrong from a water quality point of view. The reason being it's a generalisation based on nothing. No given flow rate or turnover number. If you have good filtration or bad filtration. People, have been talking rubbish about pools for a century, now we have actual data we know exactly what's correct and what is not.
Simple1
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex above 15' sand filter pump

Postby Simple1 » Sat 06 Jan, 2024 15:51

Many of the responses are based on water quality, has any not thought about the safety aspect where there is electrical concerns? I've read that most of these aboveground Intex pool and the like kinds, are not designed to swim safely with the pumps plugged in. Which where we plugged our in was in a properly mounted & covered electrical box and our plug also had the buttons (like bathroom hair dryers the red and yellow ones) and we swam with our on top. UNTIL it was made to attention that doesn't serve well enough! Told reason was that the actual pool/ladder & frame were more than likely not grounded. Asking what that entails, I knew immediately our pool was NOT GROUNDED!! EEEEGADS we apparently have been living by the graces of pure LUCK! THERE is a proper way a technical way this must be done too. It involves running additional copper wiring that attached to each pool post and frame connects to the ladder all connected to the pump and then that wire some how connects to a ground. You need to have an electrician do this or know what the heck your doing!! Its no joke I looked into this matter some and I'm distrubed that these "pop up" self diy pools are allowed without ensuring people know about this safety aspect. Our Intex pool NEVER GAVE INSIGHT ON GROUNDING THE POOL!! Only said what distance and type of safety protocol was needed to plug it into. Which by following that ALONE does NOT make you safe from getting electrocuted! From that moment on we unplugged the pump unit entirely. Ran the pump only when no one was near the thing! We the adults did the vacuuming ourselves making sure to not touch the sides or ladder! It only takes a fraction of a second to be zapped luck was on our side for a good bit of time but ya never know when that's gonna run out! Don't take a chance unless you are CERTAIN YOUR POOL MEETS ALL THE GROUNDING ASPECTS NEEDED TO KEEP EVERYONE SAFE. PLEASE if you don't trust these words Google it. Knowledge is power ... Share it's simple and free and the good it's gives is even better it is in the combined where we all give we all have more to take too..... No one will ever be able to survive life alive but the good in that is when we strive to work together our efforts change to become effortless where we build our trusted bonds we all can thrive. Life isn't about anyone it's about us ALL WHERE we are simply unquie. right Accompanies wrong naturally by nature's design in the center is where we All meet to communicate where we all gain Ability to ATTAIN our STRENGTH to reach the peak the A shows each side leans as truly each are dependent upon the other to just "be" equally serving the one and same purpose the horizontal line is the bridge that closes the gap. Together we all can give a little more and not judge because we all have our own opinions some are similar some the contrary nonetheless all are apart of one life where each became alive and each will die. Accept the facts we will not like everyone nonetheless that's not the same as love and my friend love stems from the core root of two that gave one another RESPECT LOVE IS NOTHING MORE NOR LESS THAN RESPECT. GIVE IT UP TO ALL LEARN FROM WHERE ANOTHER STANDS GIVING RESPECT TO THE ORDER GIVEN IN THE PROPER PERSPECTIVE! FOR THAT MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE.... MISUNDERSTANDING MIXES THE rAw up into being ass backwards you get a battle of tug of WaR no one wins really! There is no best nor better for one ... We need to change towards giving the way that gives betterment to and for us All. Thanks for your time in reading the words I shared I hope it helps in some way and please kindly share this with others you never know it could help someone struggling it could help us all nonetheless change is a constant I choose to give all I have so hopefully we can attain the given where it's possible to live a heavenly life right her on earth if we choose....
USA Management
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Our team of Safety professionals will provide an environment of safety, pool management services and hospitality that you expect from a world-class firm.

Postby USA Management » Thu 18 Jan, 2024 04:13

It is generally recommended to keep the pool pump and filter system running while the pool is in use. Continuous circulation helps in maintaining water quality by distributing chemicals evenly, preventing stagnation, and aiding in the removal of debris. This ensures that the water remains clean and safe for swimmers. Additionally, keeping the pump and filter on during pool use helps in optimizing the filtration process, enhancing overall pool efficiency. If energy conservation is a concern, you may consider adjusting the pump runtime based on the size of your pool and the frequency of use, but turning it off completely during pool use is not advisable for maintaining water quality.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Sat 20 Jan, 2024 07:18

If people really want to reduce the cost in electricity and improve the water quality then flow rate needs to be adjusted to suit the individual pool size. For far too long the methods have involved small filters (undersized) and too larger pumps (oversized).
Unless your local code says otherwise (out of date thinking or just plain wrong) the water can be turned over every 6 hours. Slower filtration is better filtration so you remove more dirt etc each turnover. Ideally running for 24 hours during pool use season. That means 4 turnovers per day which removes around 98% of the disolved dirt etc. Also to remove the most dirt, bacteria etc you need the best filtration, Dr Dryden's AFM ng is the best. AFM ng removes particles down to 1 micron whereas sand at best is around 20 microns. So 1 pass through an AFM ng filter media is 20 times better than 1 pass through sand or cartridges in most cases.
Running for 24 hours may sound expensive but with a speed adjusted pump you are using a tiny amount of electricity compared to a single speed, often oversized pump. My pool uses less electricity than the old single speed pump used to use in 1 hour! My and some of my customers pools are the most energy efficient in the world because over the last 14 years I have been installing energy efficient systems that perform better than the original setups saving 1000's in electricity. You must have full speed for backwashing but 99% of the time you are running in filtration and burning up electricity and not getting the best filtration results even from sand.
12000 US gallon pool running previously on 745 watts of electricity. Now running on 36 watts of electricity and producing the best quality water with minimal chemicals because the more you remove from the water the less chemical you need.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”