Old motor for hayward pump repair or replace?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
rhthompson
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: inground gunite 30 feet long 20+ years old

Postby rhthompson » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 18:21

my Hayward superpump 1600 series is probably 15+ years old (came with the house i bought 2007) with Magnetek 8129 motor. Motor housing is rusty on the outside from exposure to dampness. I've been running it 24/7 with no problems until motor shut down 2 days ago. Will not restart -- only hums. Humming can mean bad capacitor but as far as i can tell (using ohmmeter test, first time i've ever done it) the capacitor is ok. Shaft turns freely, i don't see any obstructions in the impeller (i rebuilt the pump two years ago, new seal and rings), but when i reassemble pump the motor still only hums. Also i don't think there are any blockages in the suction/pump/return lines. I don't know of any reason motor would have overheated.

So i think something in the motor just crapped out, maybe from moisture, and next step is to take the motor to a shop.

I have never dealt with a motor shop. Anybody have any tips for communicating with shop? Depending on what shop says, anybody have any thoughts on whether it might be best just to get a new motor? Or maybe even a whole new pump?

thanks!

floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 18:29

rhthompson wrote:my Hayward superpump 1600 series is probably 15+ years old (came with the house i bought 2007) with Magnetek 8129 motor. Motor housing is rusty on the outside from exposure to dampness. I've been running it 24/7 with no problems until motor shut down 2 days ago. Will not restart -- only hums. Humming can mean bad capacitor but as far as i can tell (using ohmmeter test, first time i've ever done it) the capacitor is ok. Shaft turns freely, i don't see any obstructions in the impeller (i rebuilt the pump two years ago, new seal and rings), but when i reassemble pump the motor still only hums. Also i don't think there are any blockages in the suction/pump/return lines. I don't know of any reason motor would have overheated.

So i think something in the motor just crapped out, maybe from moisture, and next step is to take the motor to a shop.

I have never dealt with a motor shop. Anybody have any tips for communicating with shop? Depending on what shop says, anybody have any thoughts on whether it might be best just to get a new motor? Or maybe even a whole new pump?

thanks!

If you could, you may just want to replace the motor only, replacing all the seals with a go-kit., however, It may be worth it to you to just replace the entire pump, as I know we have a few pumps that aren't much more than the replacement motor alone, such as the Pentair Sta-Rite Super Max Pumps which are designed as a direct replacement to the Hayward Super Pump.
rhthompson
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: inground gunite 30 feet long 20+ years old

Postby rhthompson » Mon 04 Oct, 2010 16:49

pool shop confirmed capacitor was still ok. I disconnected the rest of the motor and started to take it to motor shop, but it looked pretty corroded and i didn't really want to make a career of it, so i went ahead and just got a new motor from pool shop. Thought about a whole new pump but it just didn't seem necessary.

thanks

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”