Green pool, which chemical levels to correct first?

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Hossfly88
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24' round above-ground pool
Sand filter

Green pool, which chemical levels to correct first?

Postby Hossfly88 » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 18:18

Hi,
I'm a new pool owner, and my pool is full of algae. It is a 24' round above ground pool with a sand filter and an inline chlorinator. My chlorine levels are practically non-existent as I've just run out of 3" tablets, which I'll be getting more of when getting the chemicals needed to clean this algae outbreak. The alkalinity levels are at 0, pH below 6.2 according to my test strips. I've just cleaned lots of leaves out of the pool in preparation of shocking and stabilizing other levels so i can then close the pool for the winter.
Do I need to increase alkalinity before adding shock? Which steps should I perform first?

TIA,
Steve
Danville, VA

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Green pool, which chemical levels to correct first?

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 23 Nov, 2016 04:48

You need to get a test kit that will give you accurate numbers, strips and pool stores testing are widely inaccurate
Don't get any more pucks. If you have been using pucks then your CYA will be sky high rendering your chlorine ineffective
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
You need to check Chlorine / CYA Chart and then Slam Follow the instruction exactly and don't miss any thing out
You may have to drain water to reduce your CYA level to get it to the correct ratio to chlorine

You can maintain your pool with
Bleach (sodiun hypochlorite) to chlorinate
Aeration to increase pH
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Muriatic acid (hydrochloic acid) to lower TA and pH
JoseCan
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: We have a fiberglass pool of size 16*32 and has a pebble Tec surface. We have a Jacuzzi pump and a cartridge filter.

Re: Green pool, which chemical levels to correct first?

Postby JoseCan » Tue 14 Feb, 2017 01:44

Follow these steps to get rid of green pool:
1) Remove the debris from the pool using a leaf net and do not vacuum the pool. It may clog your skimmer, filter or underground pipes.
2) Adjust the pH and alkalinity levels.
3) Shock the pool.
4) Run the filter 24 hours and backwash 3 or 4 times a day.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”