Is This Algae or Normal Staining?

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
JPMark
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Commercial plaster pool and SPA.

Is This Algae or Normal Staining?

Postby JPMark » Tue 14 Feb, 2017 20:35

I need a few opinions or advice about the SPA where I live. It's a complex with more than 100 units and the SPA surface is plaster. We have a professional pool service maintain SPA twice a week but it looks nasty and I have gotten a skin infection. The SPA was drained last year and cleaned with acid when some patching was done and the black stuff was not there. Plaster is about 10 years old.

Property Manager says it is normal surface staining. Does this look like normal surface staining or algae?
Attachments
IMG_20170213_170814336.jpg
IMG_20170213_170814336.jpg (42.98 KiB) Viewed 1265 times
IMG_20170213_170845597.jpg
IMG_20170213_170845597.jpg (45 KiB) Viewed 1265 times

JPMark
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Is This Algae or Normal Staining?

Postby JPMark » Tue 14 Feb, 2017 20:41

I have never seen a commercial SPA in this condition either, am I being too picky or is this a poorly maintained SPA with issues?
mikewood
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby mikewood » Wed 15 Feb, 2017 13:11

That looks hideous.

First I would invest in some water test strips. See what your free and total chlorine levels are. Try to keep free chlorine in the pool.

So what is that crap in your pool?
Take a nylon scrub brush and scrub it really good. Does it come off in a cloud? If so it's organic and needs to be shocked, scrubbed and maintained daily till it's clear. Consider draining and closing the SPA until you get it clear.

If it's "stuck" or leached in it's a stain and you can try the acid treatment again.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 16 Feb, 2017 17:34

There are two types of stain Organic and Inorganic
Organic stains can be tested with a high chlorine (hold a puck on for a period of time)
Inorganic can be tested with Ascorbic Acid (vitamin c)
Who ever is maintaining the spa should have a record of the levels in the pool
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:

My pool:
Pool chemicals:
JPMark
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby JPMark » Thu 16 Feb, 2017 18:34

Thanks for the information. I will scrub with a nylon brush to see if it comes off in a cloud.

I do have a simple test kit and will see what it checks for. Not getting anything but denials from Property Management Company and board might be upset if I contact the vendor direct.

It does not seem like it be being properly maintained for a complex with 100+ units and I am concerned about using it in the current condition but I am brushed aside as being too picky with the concerns so I am also hoping to get some opinions about this being normal and acceptable condition.

Thanks. I will post what I find out after some testing.
DRLDallas

Postby DRLDallas » Fri 17 Feb, 2017 11:35

Never get in water if something doesn't seem right.

Having said that I'd take a water sample in a clean bottle to your local pool store and ask them to check it. Just pretend like it's your pool and you are having stains and they can help you diagnose it. My suspicion is that twice a week service is not nearly enough for the amount of activity that hot tub gets.

David
JPMark
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby JPMark » Sat 18 Feb, 2017 01:05

Thanks David. I should state that a pump device and vats of chemicals were added after the last time we had this problem that should keep a flow of chemicals going into the SPA between services IF it is working and set properly. Filling of SPA water level is still manual and I notice it drops below intake area often.
marvinwalters
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby marvinwalters » Wed 01 Mar, 2017 00:04

It looks like surface staining. You must get it cleaned asap.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”